rolled roofing removal

I have to replace a roof with 2" x 12" pitch, approx 1400 square feet, with 3 layers of asphalt rolled roofing that needs to be removed.
I am planning on doing the removal project myself, have no experience, but anticipate difficulty in breaking up the multi-layered asphalt roofing.
If someone has experience removing rolled roofing, what is the best method to break-up the roofing or how did you accomplish the removal task.
thanks, NewRoofer
A flat bottomed shovel and a strong back. At least that's how I've done it.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

There are tools especially made to do this. Like the shovel but with a flat notched edge and a protrusion on the back side for better leverage. It doesn't make it easy, but it helps. Don Young

A good roofing material supplier would carry those tear-off bars. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Call around for roofing strippers. They will show up, put a dumpster in your yard/driveway and have it done in no time for the roofer. With 3 layers your looking at a 20-30 yard container. For me the pittance that they want is worth the dollars.
SQLit wrote:

I'd tend to agree. Going at it full time? Weekends? Multiply the time it will take times the rental cost for a dumpster, then consider that the roof will be "open" for the same period of time. If you have a crew to do it in a day, and put on the new roofing, then it's a different story.