Roll Away Tool Chest question

I have purchased a rather nice Craftsman Roll-Away tool cabinet with a matching tool chest on top. Stands about as tall as me.
I want to put it in my garage, but I don't want some theifs to "roll it away". I know it has keyed lockes, but how can I prevent someone from rolling it into a truck?
Is there a way to temporarily lock/disable the caster wheels, allwoing to remain in one place? The obvious anser is to NOT install the wheels, but then I won't be able to move it either.
Ideas appreciated.
If they want it they will get it no matter what. Keep an itemized list of all your tools and your homeownes insurance will cover the theft.

Lock your garage? Fasten a bar or loop to the chest with a reinforcing plate on the inside of the chest. Use tamper proof screws and secure it to the garage with a cable and lock?
Bubba
Bubba wrote:

Load it up with tools. I've got one and it weighs a ton. I seldom move it at all and only then with great reluctance.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@BARFcarolina.rr.com
Bill wrote:

i got one also, about 15 yrs. now and it has really served me well.... how about looking at the wheels..... to top someone from rolling it off you can drill a hole in one of the metal part of the wheels and get one of those locks that they put on bicycles through the spokes... this will stop the wheels from rolling,, but if i wanted your unit i would back up the pickup truck next to it and just shove it over.. so stoping the rolling will do no good.. how about a cable coming out form the back then locked onto an eye bolt screwed into the garage wall???? drill a hole in the back of the cabinet and chest and then put a cable into the hole and attache it to a metal place or use a longer cable and make two holes (one on each side)....

where the really expensive small stuff is kept. Or build a small closet around it with steel plate on the inside of the walls and steel door on front with multiple deadbolts. Or simply install a steel door with multiple dead bolts and reinforced door jamb on the garage and make sure nobody can figure out the code for your garage door opener.
Bill wrote:

Switch plug with a cord plugged into it. The other end of the cord with alligator clips clipped onto the box somewhere. Walk out of the garage for the day - flip the switch. Caveats apply.
Typically when they get moved from shop to shop, it takes a wrecker with a tilit-and-load deck because they weigh so much when filled with tools. I would assume that unless your garage is in a real remote location, that people rolling a toolbox down the street or having a truck idling in your driveway may cause some concerns to your neighbours and especially you if are home. Do you typically leave your garage unlocked?

Kroetsch's wrote:

Who said anything about tools?
If your not going to fill with any tools (you can send it to me and I will) ,but in that case then I would to agree with the some of the others in securing it to a wall in your garage with either cable or chain. I would be led to drill a hole in the bottom of the cabinet and bolting some chain to the bottom and the locking the other end to an eye bolt attached to the garage wall. This way you are not drilling into a visable part of the tool box. You will have to watch out that if you do move it you watch you length and not push over the entire unit.

Kroetsch's wrote:

That was my feeling as well. I have a gravel driveway and I assure you my box won't roll anywhere out there. Hell, it'll hardy roll inside the garage. I know it weighs more than any ten guys could lift without dropping their testicles on the floor.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@BARFcarolina.rr.com
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

Hi, You, RN? My wife is. You, RN working on machines, not human patient?, LOL! My tool chest(Snap on) is not that big or heavy but cahined to garage wall. Tony
Tony Hwang wrote:

I was working on cars and around the house long before I became a nurse. The older I get, the more tools I own. After all, he who dies with the most toys wins.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@BARFcarolina.rr.com

but
If you have the type of cabinets that has takeout drawers, take them out. Put a chain around a stud, or make a plate that goes on the stud. Then put a padlocking assembly in the back that is only accessible through the front when the drawers are taken out. Do not make the chain long enough so someone can pull it away from the wall to work on the chain. Put one on each cabinet. If there is not enough room inside the cabinet for the drawers to be put back after the locking assembly is in, put a plate on the backside of the box and lock that to the stud. You may have to make an access hole in the back of the toolbox.
Someone would be able to pull the thing off the stud with a truck, but, hey, except for burying it in a concrete vault, you will have SOME risk.
Steve