ROI for Sewer Connection

Our neighbourhood is looking at having a sewer main brought into it. At this time, the entire subdivision (19 homes in total) are all on septic systems. I have no problems with my septic system, but others have experienced some problems and are anxious to connect.

If there was no cost to me, I wouldn't care, but there is one option that only requires a 60% majority and results in everyone having to pay for the sewer main, which could be in the order fo $20K-$25K, whether they connect or not. This is the option I'm trying to avoid.

I've searched the archives and I've searched the internet, but I'm unable to find any information about the Return on Investment for this type of home improvement. Nor can I find any information about price differential for houses that have (or don't have) sewer connections.

So, what I'm looking for is some evidence, one way or the other, for:

a) the ROI of replacing a septic system with a sewer system and b) the increase (or decrease) in property values when replacing a septic system with a sewer system.

Hopefully the knowledge of the many will enlighten this mind...

Reply to
Jim Sullivan

Greetings,

You may have a lawsuit on your hands. If you can prove, or get some of them on tape admitting that they have not properly managed their septic systems and that the problems with the existing systems are the impetus behind the upgrade then you can sue them for your portion of the cost of the remedy (*connection to city sewer). If everyone had done as good a job with their septic as you have you wouldn't be forced to shell out $20-25K now. It's only fair. You live in America.

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans

ROI is going to be based on your area/zip codes values. Call a realtor and have them pull comps with and with out septic.

I lived in Iowa and we were on a well system. Just about the time I was leaving for college county water was offered. We lived 3/4 of a mile away from the main line. If we connected when the work was being done it was less money than if we had waited. I do remember that when the parents sold the place. County water was a selling point.

What happens to your taxes when you connect to the sewer?

Reply to
SQLit

In some places I have lived here in the south, usually do not require a home already on septic to hookup to new sewer just becuase they install. However other considerations are depending per county. On my currnet house the county requires any house in certain areas to hookup to any available sewer if within a certain distance to the sewer main. May be due to water basin issues ? And I was told they only will require when the house was being sold anyway, current owners were not required. The house is 300ft back from the road/sewer and was not required to hookup but I was told that if closer I would have had to hook up.

Reply to
MC

Yes but some municipalities require homeowners to pay an amount for every foot sewer main laid in front of their house, whether they connect or not. That appears to be the case the original poster.

Reply to
Lisa Taylor

And in some places (e.g. the entire state of Indiana) you have no choice: once they make the sewer available, you have six months to connect. IIRC the fine is $100 *per*day* thereafter, and the municipality can also pursue a court order; ignoring the court order could lead to a jail term for contempt.

Reply to
Doug Miller