rodents in attic

I was going in the attic to install a vent pipe for the stove and this is what I saw. http://picasaweb.google.com/DaveHV/Attic
I don't think anyone has been in the attic for at least 20 years so I don't know how long this has been here.
Anyone have any idea what this could be? I was afraid to go near it
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hard to see the texture of the pile but if it is just grass/straw it was done by birds trying to make a nest in the louver. The material falls and piles up, but it does make a great place for rodents to nest. Wear gloves when you removing in case of lice/mites etc.
Lar

Don't forget the dust mask either...
--
---
there should be a "sig" here

Or, it could be that a number starlings actually found a way into the attic and were building one of their characteristically large nests. Either way, it needs to be removed, and if a hole is found where startlings could enter, hardware cloth or other heavy metal mesh should be stapled up to prevent them from pecking their way in again.
On Jul 26, 10:28 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Throw a bunch of Moth Balls around up there and wait a few days if theres any live creature present it will leave the premises. Put in enough to really stink the place up.
Jack wrote:

If you try the moth balls, place them in an old stocking so that once the oder starts entering the living space you can easily remove them.
Lar
The homeless people got into the attic and created a nest.
Mr.Spock wrote:

through that wide open window, no doubt??

that's for the wonderful suggestions.
I finally got the courage to investigate the pile of straw and found a pterodactyl egg. I quickly removed the nest before the mother comes back
On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 04:28:23 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Dang. That may relieve the future problem, but she's going to be angry when she gets back. They're not as dumb as they look.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

a-hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 03:28:50 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Dont know what it is, but move out of there fast. I wouldnt live in a place that has that in it. At least have the roof torn off the place with a crane and have them rip that part of the ceiling away and right into a dumpster or a truck. Personally, I'd move myseld and my stuff and set the place on fire.
EUL
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:35:00 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@att.com wrote:

This is alarmist. There is really no problem in living there. Usually they will only infect the dog or cat, and if there is no dog or cat, they will only make a small entry point in the abdomen and set up a habitat in the spleen. As you all know, we don't really need our spleens. It will take them at least 10 years to get past the pupa stage, at which time worms only an inch long will leave the spleen and look for other organs. But 10 years is a long time, and they will surely have a cure by then.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I've seen these before.
It's a beaver dam.