rockwall

When trying to make a soundproof room or at least one that is sound quiet, is double layer off-set seam rockwall pretty much the best you can go or are there better materials to do the job - in terms of thickness and/or expense?

If possible, use a 2x6 top and bottom plate and stagger your 2x4 studs. This keeps the sound on one side of the wall transferring to the other side of the wall.

I would imagine that you would need to be on seriously good terms with the inspector for something like this - I can't imagine what it would be like to run pipes or cables through this.

Why would it be different than for a regular 2x4 stud wall? The only real difference is that your wall ends up being 6" thick instead of 4"

You'd have to snake everything since the center of the stud would change every 12" or so or am I not reading you right?

You don't have to run through the center of the studs... Just ensure that they are far enough from the outside side of the wall... 2 3/4 inches back should work fine.

Hmmm, okay I guess the inspector is the final arbiter, but I guess I'm a little too green to visualize this. Don't worry, I'm just gathering information and ideas on projects I might work on in a year or two - I'm not buying the rockwall as I compose this.
Eigenvector wrote:

Huh? Pick one side and run the cable or pipe through the center of the studs on that side. The cable is even easier as you don't have to do any drilling at all - let it snake in and out along the back of the studs.
Eigenvector wrote:

http://www.soundproofing.org /