Rocks and palm trees

Hello all,
I've got a few palm trees (10-12 ft Sabal's) in my front yard, enclosed in a "bed" which is filled with mulch. I'm planning to remove the mulch and replace with "river rocks" of about 2-3" size. I do plan to put down the fabric weed matting first to control weed growth. My question is: should the rocks be kept away from the base of the tree trunks, say 8-12" or something, or can they be right up against the trunks? Each tree does have a "dribbler hose" near (within 6") the trunk for watering, and I plan to keep the weed matting cut away about a foot from the trunk. Will having the rocks right up against the trunk cause any problems? Thanks.

my dad did what your planning and killed his really beautiful palm tree:(
On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 13:56:02 -0000, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Sabals are pretty tough, they live through fires. If you are worried leave a little ring of sand between the rocks and the palm.