Rocks and palm trees

Hello all,

I've got a few palm trees (10-12 ft Sabal's) in my front yard, enclosed in a "bed" which is filled with mulch. I'm planning to remove the mulch and replace with "river rocks" of about 2-3" size. I do plan to put down the fabric weed matting first to control weed growth. My question is: should the rocks be kept away from the base of the tree trunks, say 8-12" or something, or can they be right up against the trunks? Each tree does have a "dribbler hose" near (within 6") the trunk for watering, and I plan to keep the weed matting cut away about a foot from the trunk. Will having the rocks right up against the trunk cause any problems? Thanks.

Reply to
Roland Deschain

my dad did what your planning and killed his really beautiful palm tree:(

Reply to
hallerb

Sabals are pretty tough, they live through fires. If you are worried leave a little ring of sand between the rocks and the palm.

Reply to
gfretwell