Robinson bits

I've only had a little bit of experience with what I thought were just called "square drive" screws. I think that their greatest asset, that it's nearly impossible to have a power driver bit slip out or strip the head, can also be a minor drawback. They hold the bit SO well that they tend to pull it out of the magnetic bit holder in my drill. I suppose if I just got separate (longer) bits that go into the chuck directly I wouldn't have this problem. With today's keyless chucks that might not be such a bad thing, I suppose.

I usually use phillips. With the aforementioned magnetic bit holder I find it pretty easy to start them at any angle also. Their lesser bit-holding ability only becomes a drawback where there is a great deal of resistance to turning the screw. Maybe next time I buy drywall screws I'll get the really long ones in square drive.

Greg Guarino

There's one part of this story I don't get. You say Ford wouldn't use the Robertson because he couldn't buy an exclusive to the design. But did he GET an exclusive on the Phillips? Or any other design?

Greg Guarino

As I heard it, Robertson wanted to set up a single-supplier deal where Ford would buy all the parts and tools from him. Nobody smart enough to run a car company would fall for that.

Chip C

Reply to
Chip C

Probably not. I've read stories about Ford and he was somewhat a tyrant and demanded special consideration. If he could not get an exclusive, he'd probably use anything else just so as not to give in to Robertson.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have lots of them that came in sets. Hardly ever use any or them. There are many brands and yeah, they call 'em whatever they feel like.

The issue I have had in the past with Robertson tips/bits, is that they were cheap and the tips (the driving part ) broke off too easily. They are superior on many ways, but have a tendency ( only in the ones I've had to use , and they probably weren't made by Robertson) to do just that............break. I suppose , reading the other posts in this thread, that it is very possible that the "real deal" made by the original manufacturer, may be the "Cadillac" of the type. Or the "Snap-On" if you will.

I have had both bits, and screwdrivers and didn't have to leave Texas to get them, both came in sets and singles when I did use them several years back. I think nowadays, I am more likely to buy Phillips type screws but with ACR knurls on them to "grip" the screw better, or some type of those newfangled "deck screws"

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

The Robertson screwdrivers I get today are far superior to a lot of the ones made decades ago. I used to get annoyed with how fast the tip would wear, but now they last a long time - even when used in a power driver.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly