Robinson bits

Huh?
1) Robertson screwdrivers are denominated as #0, #1, #2, #3, etc just like Phillips screwdrivers. Metric has nothing to do with it.
2) Robertson screws come in the same variety of sizes and lengths as any other screw, and are denominated in exactly the same fashion, e.g. a 6-32 x 3/4" machine screw.
3) Metric dimensions and labelling have not proven to be an impediment to the importation, manufacture, and use in the U.S. of plenty of metric bolts and wrenches.
4) The spark plugs most widely used in the U.S. have 5/8" or 13/16" hex heads.

And adjustable wrenches. I don't believe I've ever seen a metric adjustable wrench.
Steve ;-)

they got em in france...
randy

I have one that proudly states it is 250 mm. It is about 10" long.

And engines; e.g. 3.5 litre gasoline, 7 Litre Caterpillar Diesel etc. and metric tonnes, and .............! Ah well; we'll catch on in another generation or so!
Robertson (square) drives must be catching on? It was only a few years ago that a friend, manager/owner of a company that manufactured and shipped power equipment told me that certain US specs for his equipment clearly required "All screws must be Philips or Straight".
Personally have always found Robertsons convenient and powerful; possible to put a screw on the end of the square driver and apply it with one hand at almost any angle including straight down, horizontal etc. Recent convert to using construction screws and a power/drill driver. Robertsons work very well.
I've only had a little bit of experience with what I thought were just called "square drive" screws. I think that their greatest asset, that it's nearly impossible to have a power driver bit slip out or strip the head, can also be a minor drawback. They hold the bit SO well that they tend to pull it out of the magnetic bit holder in my drill. I suppose if I just got separate (longer) bits that go into the chuck directly I wouldn't have this problem. With today's keyless chucks that might not be such a bad thing, I suppose.
I usually use phillips. With the aforementioned magnetic bit holder I find it pretty easy to start them at any angle also. Their lesser bit-holding ability only becomes a drawback where there is a great deal of resistance to turning the screw. Maybe next time I buy drywall screws I'll get the really long ones in square drive.
Greg Guarino
Doug Miller wrote:

Except, of course, for the size you urgently need now.
--

In Memoriam: Julius the cat April 1, 1993 - February 3, 2005

They are 'robertson' bits...invented by a scotsman that emmigrated to canada. not widely used in states because that sob nation is busy looking for third world nations to attack and steal oil from. Hey, maybe sadam hid those WMD in vaults sealed with robertson head screws???? LOL, loyal canadians are wise to american imperialism.

to the

and
NoSpamFANatic wrote:

Actually, it's not so much imperialism as capitalism. We're secretly plotting to let your economy continue as it is now for another ten years, then we'll step in and buy the whole country for $89 U.S.
Of course, maybe y'all will beat us to the punch with your secret plot to reduce us to confusion by absorbing all our liberals, eh?
--

In Memoriam: Julius the cat April 1, 1993 - February 3, 2005

I know you're just a troll baiting a flame war, but I can't resist... apologies in advance to all US non-trolls, please disregard.
Have you looked at the US debt per capita lately and compared it to Canada's? In a few years "y'all" be lucky to afford a double-double at the local Tim's in downtown Little Rock. But by then Bin Laden will have resurfaced and will be running for Governor of Kansas, so who knows.

(snip)
heads.
I think he was referring to the threads, not the wrench size to put them in. IIRC, when Henry the First was setting up shop, there were no US spark plug makers, so he had little choice but to use metric. Since he was the 800 pound gorilla, that is what the industry standardized on. I could be wrong, of course, but I'm sure someone smarter than me will post the correct story.
aem sends...

Who *cares* whether the threads are metric, Imperial, or some bastard size? It's not like you put anything *else* into the spark plug port in a cylinder head, where you have to know what the thread diameter and pitch are... buy the recommended plug for your engine, and that's all you need.
JerryMouse wrote:

Not true. Robertson screws have been used in Canada for well over sixty years. Apparently Henry Ford was interested in them for his assembly line but wanted full and exclusive ownership of the design. Robertson, the inventor, would not go for that and as a consequence Ford declined to use them. Then along came the Phillips design and it became the American sweetheart because it was invented by an American and was somewhat superior to the common slotted screw.

Somewhat? Ever try to start a slotted head wood screw without a pilot hole? With a power driver? With one hand? Every slotted head screw I come across is scrapped. I don't have ONE to my name.
PhotoMan wrote:

Yup! And the Robertson is superior to the Phillips probably as much as the Phillips is to the slotted, IMHO. That's why anything I buy that includes Phillips head screws for assembly has them replaced with Robertsons. I can probably make you a good deal if your interested in buying a coffee can full of assorted Phillips head screws. ;)

hole?
across
How 'bout 15+ pounds of Phillips? At least!

You dont have a lot of anything to your name. Next time you want to start a sloted head wood screw, use that usless melon on top of that thing you call a neck. Have someone slam it against the screwhead. Maybe something will bust you bonehead. Bubba

Phillips did a good job designing his cross slotted screws, but they he was never able to expand that technology in the marketplace. Every try the cross bladed Phillips snow shovel?
There's one part of this story I don't get. You say Ford wouldn't use the Robertson because he couldn't buy an exclusive to the design. But did he GET an exclusive on the Phillips? Or any other design?
Greg Guarino

Probably not. I've read stories about Ford and he was somewhat a tyrant and demanded special consideration. If he could not get an exclusive, he'd probably use anything else just so as not to give in to Robertson.