Riyobi weed whacker

Any time I want to use this 2 cycle engine I have to take off the cover and adjust the needle valves, clean the spark plug, change the choke and other settings and pull like crazy till it starts. Then it will run for a while and just quit, dropping down from top speed to a stall. Sometimes it will start again but this machine has me totally frustrated. My ten year old Murray lawn mower starts every time and needs little attention. What is the trick to keeping the weed wacker running? Thanks, if you can give me some advice. Derek , Pompano Beach, Fl

I have no problem with mine other than trying to install string. Do you use the choke system? This is what I do: 1. Prime engine by pushing bulb 3-4 times 2. Close choke and pull starter until you feel it trying to start. 3. Put choke in half open position and start. 4. Open choke completely after ~1 minute of operation.
So far this trimmer has been reliable for me after 8 years of use.
On 03 Oct 2006 15:01:48 GMT, "badgolferman"

Same here and I am not even very careful with the gas, I leave it in the machine etc. This is my second one tho. The original one wouldn't start worth a lick and I swapped it out at Lowes. The guy there couldn't start it either and he just gave me another one.
I know a few people who've used those Ryobi 2-cycle weed whacker engines on their bicycles to create an inexpensive motorized bike. They are notorious for being very sensitive to the correct oil/gas mixture. But when they run, they run!
Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles http://OldRoads.com
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Derek Lawler wrote:

I had similar problems, I replaced all the fuel lines and the primer bulb on mine and it runs much better now. Next time I need a new one though I'll spend the extra money and get a commercial grade echo or stihl.