Rivet Removal?

One of the shocks snapped off my truck cap/shell rear window. The rivet heads popped off where it fastens on the frame around window. The rivet seems to go through the weather-strip in the frame and there is nowhere for the remaining shank to go, drilling just spins it. Now what the @#$@ do I do? Thanks ;-p

Reply to
leonard hofstadter

Not sure what you are talking about, but I'll answer anyway. Punch it in and replace with a pop-rivet?

Reply to
willshak

Hi, Spin little more and loosen it, then punch out or use something like bearing puller to push it out gently?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

eads popped off where it fastens on the frame around window. The rivet seem s to go through the weather-strip in the frame and there is nowhere for the remaining shank to go, drilling just spins it. Now what the @#$@ do I do? Thanks ;-p

Needle-nose pliers to grip the outside of the rivet and small enough drill bit to not take the outside edge off the rivet and screw up the pliers.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Not sure what you are talking about, but I'll answer anyway. Punch it in and replace with a pop-rivet?

=========== can't punch it in, there's no where for it to go

Reply to
leonard hofstadter

Needle-nose pliers to grip the outside of the rivet and small enough drill bit to not take the outside edge off the rivet and screw up the pliers.

======= not enough exposed to grab :(

Reply to
leonard hofstadter

Use and automatic center punch around the circumference of the hole to make little craters that will pinch the rivet tighter in the hole then drill. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

eads popped off where it fastens on the frame around window. The rivet seem s to go through the weather-strip in the frame and there is nowhere for the remaining shank to go, drilling just spins it. Now what the @#$@ do I do? Thanks ;-p

Can you come in with a fairly large drill bit. say the diameter of the rive t head, and then come in at an angle and chew away at the rivet head sidewa ys? I have been abl;e todo that a number of times.

Reply to
hrhofmann

A dremmel with a grindstone or milling cutter

Reply to
clare

4.5" angle grinder?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Good idea. I would use a small cutoff wheel to make a cross in the rivet head and it should come out pretty easily.

Reply to
Robert Green

Good idea. I would use a small cutoff wheel to make a cross in the rivet head and it should come out pretty easily.

=========== the heads snapped off, that's why the shock fell off ;-p

don't have a dremmel, but dad has air tools, pretty sure I've seen some grindstones and cutting attachments too, will have to give that a try

Reply to
leonard hofstadter