"Rittenhouse" Residential Smoke Detectors ?

Hello:

Saw a house with wired in smoke detectors by an outfit call Rittenhouse.

Never heard of them.

Do they still exist ? Do they still make residential smoke detectors ?

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Robert11

Their mfr plant burned down.

Reply to
Matt

ha ha ha

later,

tom @

The Real Tom

Subject: "Rittenhouse" Residential Smoke Detectors ? Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => Robert11 Hello:

Never heard of them. Replace smoke detectors every 10 years, regardless of manufacturer.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I don't know about that brand, but wired in smoke detectors are not hard to find. They all should also have battery backup as it is not all that uncommon to loose power as part of the problem that causes the fire.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I know that Rittenhouse was a competitor of "Nutone" in the 1970's and

1980's. At the time, I worked for an electronic servicing company that was factory authorized for Nutone service (as a minor sideline of their business).

Rittenhouse made door bells, door chimes, radio/intercom systems and hard wired burglar alarm systems. Perhaps those smoke detectors are part of the security system in that house. They are liable to be pretty old. As another poster said, they probably should be replaced for reliability.

I don't think Rittenhouse is still in business, at least not in business making those products....

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Don't know but they should be fine if they are less than 10 years old....older....replace. Later >

Reply to
Tecumseh

i think they got bought out by DeWittenhouse or Somershouse...

randy

Reply to
xrongor

replying to Robert11, TomB wrote: Rittenhouse was a division of Emerson Electronics Co. My old detectors were stamped,1286. probably manufactured in December of 1986. No further info for this very, very old thread. Tom B of Roanoke, VA

Reply to
TomB