Ripped off at Sherwin WIlliams

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
In alt.home.repair on 29 Jul 2005 06:23:38 -0700 "Chris"

In addition, I would suspect (but don't know) that it's going to screw up experienced painters who know how much they can paint with a gallon.
meirman wrote:

My first guess is that the contents of the can are deliberately kept a bit "short" of a gallon to allow for a typical addition of tint. Remember, most paint color is blended in the store and some of the tones require a lot of added pigment.
Nobody
In alt.home.repair on Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:26:14 -0700 nobody

Aw, come on. Wasn't that true, isn't that true, with paint that comes in cans too.
We should learn if it is base or not, but Edwin says even his base is only 1/16 of a quart shy, 2/32, not 5/32nds.
I know what they do with candy, they keep making the bar smaller and smaller with the same price until there is a price hike, when they go to the higher price and original size. I don't know if that is the case here or not.

HAW! We are talking about 5 ounces here. I can't imagine any painter that can estimate any job down to a 1/2 cup/gal.
posted:

Actually, there are painters like that. They're the same guys who swear their Chevy Suburbans are getting upward of 35 miles per gallon. :-)

Oh for crissakes people. No 2 "gallons" of colored paint contain the same amount of paint. The base paint takes a certain volume. They have to leave room for adding colorant in the store to make any color you want. Experienced painters are going to be "screwed up" because they haven't ever gotten an exact gallon in their lives, and they never expect to.

No so. I just looked at two cans of Pittsburgh paints. One was a pre colored paint the it is clearly marked "one gallon" while the base for tinting is marked 3 15/16 quarts. Another brand is plainly 1 gallon also.
If the OP bought a pre colored paint, he is screwed, If it was in fact a base for tinting, there may be some legitimacy, but it still seems like a lot of room for tinting.
wrote in message

Maybe it's related to current fashions. Are more people asking for dark colors than in the past? If you want a green that's 30% darker than an army uniform, does it require more tint (by volume) than a pale green?

You paid extra & didn't get a full gallon because you wanted the fancy new packaging.
If you are so "outraged" why not take it back & buy a full "gallon" can.

Um, it's so that it can take all sorts of colors, i.e. colorant. It takes space ya know.
My God, people, paint is not like ice cream. The grocery is not going to add chocolate sauce before you leave, making it a "true" half-gallon.
Like jeffc said, a can of paint is less than 1 gallon so they can add colorant! How do you suggest they get all those colors if the can is full to the top?

5 ounces is by not a lot of tint.
On 07/30/05 07:33 am Hopkins tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

So if I buy an old-fashioned metal can of paint that is labeled "1 gallon" (and really does contain a full gallon), it has no room for tinting??? Baloney!!!
Perce

Did it actually have a full gallon of tint base in it? Or was it a few ounces short, so that the tint would bring it up to a full gallon? I never bothered checking, did you?
--
Regards,
a one gallon paint can will hold, if you fill it to the brim, about 132 ounces.

You conveniently left out the FACTS that I posted. The pre-colored paint by other brands is one gallon, it is the tint base that was less to allow for adding t he colorant.

Perhaps, but Pittsburgh allows for 2 ounces.

other brands is one gallon, it is the tint base that was less to allow for adding the colorant.<< Okay. Oh, and when someone conveniently leaves out facts, it's to twist someones else's words. I did no such thing; in fact, I did the opposite. I seconded what you said - just because I didn't second everything you said is no reason to get froggy.

One time I bought a 2x4, and the damn thing was only 3.5" x1.5"!!!
"Ranieri" <uh-uh> wrote in message

But it was a real 2 x 4 before it was planed to get what is considered straight. I buy wood at a full 1" thick, but have to plane it down to 3/4" to make it usable. I know this up front and expect to do it. It was cut a true 1" at the sawmill though.

I thought the size diff was due to shrinkage as the wood dried. Not true?