Ripped off at Sherwin WIlliams

Page 2 of 6
In alt.home.repair on Fri, 29 Jul 2005 21:59:31 GMT "Doug Kanter"

My mother told me she would hear an advertisement or see a product at $7.99. To make it simple, she would think $8. Then later she wouldn't remember if it were 7.99 or 8.99, and would often remember the price a dollar higher than it was. The opposite effect of what they wanted.

There was a big outrage when they started messing with the size of coffee packages. That was about 30? years ago?

It wasn't 7/19ths of an ounce. It was 5/32nds of a quart which is about 8 times as much. It's almost 4% of the entire gallon. Other than that, I agree with you.
Another difference about paint is that that is one product whose package size hasn't varied for my whole life and probably much longer.
People are used to it with candy.
Also, when one runs out of candy no one says, Look, there's a corner of your stomach that isn't covered in candy.

Nonsense - you haven't eliminated it, you've *dismissed* it.

Greed is, of course, the most obvious explanation. Did you have something else in mind?
--
Regards,

Ya know, whenever you're asked to explore any possibility except the one you've chosen and carved in stone, you refuse. So, live in a narrow world, and have a nice day. By the way, keep your lamps trimmed and burning. The black helicopters are on the way.

What's the matter, Kanter, couldn't you think of any other explanations?
Like I said... Greed is the most obvious. Were you thinking of something else?
--
Regards,

What's the difference between greed, and wanting to do more business? Are you in a business which has a policy of not finding ways to grow?
Go find the message I just wrote to Edwin. Open your mind to other possibilities.

Greed: selling more cans of beans by selling smaller cans at the same price per can, which is of course entirely equivalent to selling the same amount of product at a higher price.
Expanding the business: selling more cans of beans by providing greater value (actual or perceived) through a better product, better advertising, greater variety of choices, etc. -- IOW, selling more product.
Note that the former case is *not* actually expanding the business; it's merely increasing profitability.

If you actually have something in mind, just state it, instead of playing this guessing game.

--
Regards,

Addressing your comments about "merely increasing profitability" and "guessing game" - here's yet another chance to entertain a new idea. The price of transportation has gone through the roof. Whether a company runs its own trucks, or uses common carriers, there is NO WAY they can control the price of oil. I believe it was you who, earlier, said that if production costs had risen, you'd find a way to control them or decrease them.
Transportation takes an enormous bite out of profits in the grocery industry. Exactly how would YOU deal with this, if you did not want to raise prices or shrink sizes?
Doug Kanter wrote:

No, it was I, but you took what I said and conveniently snipped the part which included <either> control cost <or> raise price which I also pointed out in response to your comment there...

Either figure out a way to lower energy inputs or add transportation surcharges (which is equivalent to raising prices)...sometimes one has to do things one doesn't want to do.

I probably snipped because I wanted to focus on fuel. I don't remember. Could've also applied to the price of milk, sugar or vanilla, though.

"things one doesn't want to do" Let's look at the answer our other contestants chose. Mr. Miller says "evil and deception". Sorry...
Bells! Whistles! Balloons! Duane, our contestant from somewhere USA just won the bonus round! Duane, let's watch as Vanna shows you what you've won! :-) A lifetime supply of Molson Brodor, the real stuff, smuggled over the border from Canada!

Changing the subject again...
[snip]

Liar. I never said it was "evil". And I explicitly said it is *not* deceptive. *YOU* said it was deceptive.
--
Regards,

No. We've been talking about costs you cannot control. Fuel/transportation is one such cost.

OK. Perhaps you're right. But, you definitely HAVE been pointing to increased profits as something you view as a negative reason for decreasing package size.

Actually, we were talking about disguising price increases by shrinking the packages. *Do* try to pay attention a bit more closely.

Is that as close as you can come to an apology for distorting my words into the _exact_opposite_ of what I actually wrote?

I don't view "increased profits" as negative; rather, I take a negative view of the greed that drives a company to increase its profits by providing its customers with less value.
--
Regards,

Here you go again... "Moving Target Kanter" finds the discussion not going the way he wanted it, and so he changes the subject *again*. You haven't addressed my comments at all.

Nope, not me.

Stick to the point, or shut up.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

That's Dogless at his finest.

*that* will never happen.

I am sticking to the point. You're talking about "increasing profitability". I'm modifying that slightly - how about restoring lost profitability, which you may need in order to remain in business. In other words, if you made 15% profit for 10 years, and suddenly, something beyond your control causes that to drop significantly, you either find a way to recover the money, or maybe you go out of business.
One factor which affects the bottom line is transportation. How would you address a factor over which you had little or no control? We're talking about fuel costs.
Doug Kanter wrote: ....

Obviously, one either finds other ways to economize or eventually has to raise prices to cover increased costs. It's not rocket science, just a complex combination of marketing, competition and myriad other factors involved in running a business...
One obvious solution for many in the US continues to be to go overseas to reduce manufacturing costs, for example.

Right, but the moment I see "made in someplace else" on a container of ice cream, I'm gone. :-)

In other words, NOT sticking to the point.
Bye.
--
Regards,

Of course I am. The point is profitability. Doesn't matter whether you're increasing it, or simply maintaining it in the face of various factors. You seem to be saying that increasing it is a bad thing. Why?

Stop putting words in my mouth, Kanter. I never said that, and you know it.
--
Regards,