Ripoffs: Another good story

So, friend of mine (non-handy) gets a call from New Pro windows. She's interested in replacing a picture window with a bay, so she agrees to have the guy some out and do an estimate.

He arrives, before he's done he's decided that she should do a small casement "garden bay" to replace the kitchen window too. Total price for the job ? $13K. But, after he gives her the 15% for this month, and the "put the sign on your lawn" discount, and this discount, and one for that too, he's down to $6700. What a deal, $13k of work for $6700. :-)

Fortunately she's smart enough to know a rip off. What amazes me is that these guys stay in business.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

You gave us no details about the construction...not even any sizes.

Which part do you consider the rip-off?

Depending on facts that we don't have, this may not be a bad deal. We certainly can't make a judgment with what you gave us.

Unconventional salesmanship doesn't necessarily relate to a rip off. I've often been given more for my used car than what I paid for it originally! But I bought the new car anyway. lol

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

No you didn't get more for your car than it was worth. What you got was a discount on the MSRP of the new car, part or all of which was represented as being for your trade in. A very common practice--often you can get the same price and still keep your used car. You would have gotten a better deal not including the trade-in during the negotiation, then when you have gotten your best price from the dealer you offer the car for its wholesale value. Or make a little more by selling it yourself.

Regards,

John

Reply to
JTM

Bay windows are very expensive, as your friend discovered. She would get by much cheaper to just do a small glazed addition using conventional windows. With a built in window seat, it would look pretty much like a bay window and only cost half as much.

Was there some reason she wanted to go with a casement hung garden window rather than a conventional (and inexpensive) fixed pane with small sliders?

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

The point I was trying to make is...

Its not all that important is they give you a 15% monthly discount...and a sign on the front lawn discount...and a first name starting with the letter J discount...and a 'we'll pay the sales tax' discount. These are often salesmanship tactics...but doesn't necessarily make for a bad contractor.

I *KNEW* what my used car was worth...and didn't care. All I cared about is what the new car cost me.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

How did you get this contractor's name? Out of the yellow pages? The best way to get a good contractor is to ask your satisfied friends and colleagues. Works for me almost every time; I just had my roof done by a guy who did a colleague's roof, and he did a great job tearing off 3 old roofs and putting on an entirely new 22-square roof with new

1/2" sheathing, ice/water shield, felt, 50-year shingles, and proper flashing throughout. The cuts are perfectly straight, and the roof is truly beautiful. Again, word of mouth is best, and I am taking my own advice again right now to hire a tile guy to clean up and regrout my 1940s tile and marble shower.
Reply to
xymergy