Ripoff tire company

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 19:31:04 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I took my '66 F-100 to a Firestone to get 2 new tires and they had an alignment special going on, so I told them to do that too. When I paid for the work and picked it up a couple hours later, I ducked under it and saw they hadn't touched the tie rod ends - the nuts were still grungy. I went back inside and told the manager they hadn't done the alignment. He went to talk to the mechanic, came back and told me they didn't have the equipment to do the alignment on twin I-beam. Showed him my invoice where it said clear as day "Alignment $15.00." Of course he refunded the 15 bucks. That was the first and last time I was in a Firestone.
On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 20:06:52 -0500, Vic Smith

The least the idiots could have done is CHECKED the alignment. That doesn't take special equipment. If caster and camber were OK they could then have adjusted the toe - which also does not take special equipment.
I guess in a Firestone shop the "special equipment" they don't have extends to what belongs between their ears. Once a Twin I Beam suspension is properly aligned it takes a LOT of abuse to require re-aligning the beams. ( they need to be bent or twisted)
On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 7:31:08 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

ht rear tire has slow leak. Took it to discount tire, not where I got the t ires, didn't want to drive 100 miles to get flat fixed.

nd came in telling me I need new tires and he can fix me right up. The pric e he quoted was lower than what I spent last summer, but I had to keep insi sting, I don't need new tires, I just got these last summer. It seemed like he was about to put on new tires whether I wanted them or not. I didn't ev en want a price quote.

t need any and don't want any.

in fifth.

I took a car into a chain tire store to have them look at the brakes. I was pretty sure I had a stuck caliper or caliper pin, but it was mid- winter and I didn't feel like checking it myself.
I was standing at the counter talking to the manager when the tech came out and told me that I needed a new caliper, adding "If you do one, you should do both." When I asked the tech if it could be just the caliper pin, not the caliper, he said "You can't replace the pins on that vehicle, you have to replace the whole caliper."
I stared at him silently for a few seconds, then turned to the manager and politely asked "Is that true?"
Manager: "Ummm...well...errr...you see..."
It was kind of fun to watch him struggling as he tried to figure out how to deal with the fact that his tech had just lied to my face.
I saved him the trouble by telling him to find *another tech* to put the car back together and back it out. I pointed to the tech and told the manag er that I did not want *him* touching the car again.
I watched carefully as a different tech reattached the caliper and put the wheel back on.
On 7/14/2016 8:59 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

That is one reason why I do my own work on my own car. If I don't have the tool(s) to diagnose a more complicated issue, I will have a local shop look at it as I play stupid to the understanding of vehicles. Though, I can say that local shop is honest and if I don't have the tool(s) to fix the repair, they get my business.
On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 5:33:58 PM UTC-4, SBH wrote:

Interesting that in all this discussion about taking the car to the tire place, the guy pinching the tires with his fingers, telling him that the tires are kaput, that there isn't one mention of how much tread is left on them. Anyone tells me the tires are shot, that's the first thing I'd ask them, how much tread is left? and/or why else do they need to be replaced. With less than 10K miles on them, something would have to be radically wrong for them to be worn out so soon, but the amount of tread left is the decisive factor, unless something else is wrong with the tires.
I repair all brands of roll laminating machines for a living.
there are so many repair places ripping people off, that many customers dont trust anyone:( thats sad.
I never sell anything that isnt necessary.
GBC general binding corportation is my big competitor. they charge 370 dollars for the first hours labor. now thats just insane.
they have hurt themselves a lot. my labor rate sounds high its over a 100 bucks a hour

Those tires aren't worn out, they have plenty of tread on them. The employee was talking out his ass trying to get me to buy new tires I didn't need. He didn't even use a tread gage. Those tires are good for another 20,000 miles, easy.
He just wanted to sell new tires and tried lying his ass off, which has probably worked before, but I just bought those tires July 2015.
--
The only way I'd vote for Hillary is if the plane needed to be lightened, and we needed to choose someone to push out.

On 7/15/2016 2:53 PM, cowabunga dude wrote:

he needed a good set of used tires for himself.

Probably, one time I got new tires all around, they kept my good spare and put a wore out tire on for the spare. It's lucky I checked because they went to the trouble to put the wore out spare under the truck, and I might not have known until needed.
They were dejected when I asked for the good tire back.

Were these the top screw in type? Oh man the cheater bar was defiantly required...
--
Tekkie

It's a long time (1969/70) but I believe they were ALL threaded
On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 12:43:02 PM UTC-4, cowabunga dude wrote:

t rear tire has slow leak. Took it to discount tire, not where I got the ti res, didn't want to drive 100 miles to get flat fixed.

d came in telling me I need new tires and he can fix me right up. The price he quoted was lower than what I spent last summer, but I had to keep insis ting, I don't need new tires, I just got these last summer. It seemed like he was about to put on new tires whether I wanted them or not. I didn't eve n want a price quote.

need any and don't want any.

n fifth.
On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 11:42:48 -0500, "cowabunga dude"

I'm glad you resisted. Some would have caved.

Years ago I went to a transmission place because I thought they would read my transmission codes for free, and indeed they said they would, but it ended up costing me my car.
The day it was clear weather but the guy couldn't find the connector, so I said I'd find it and come back.
I came back when it was raining, so they put it in a bay, and I didn't go in. (I had stood next to the car when it was outside.) I kept looking in the bay through the window in the door from the waiting room, and then the car was gone!!! They'd taken it for a test drive, in the rain, without asking me. -- I complained about that later, to the owner's son.
Wrote me up all kinds of things that they said were wrong with it. I did need a control arm bushing, iirc, which I did myself, and they said I needed two motor mounts.
I bought the mounts and took out the right one, but the replacement woudn't fit. So I put the original back. I tried to take out the front one and scratched the radiator in the process. I bought a new radiator but I couldn't get the old one out. I stopped the leak with stop leaks, and two years later the car overheated and I blew the engine. It wounldn't have happened if I hadn't scratched a leak in the radiator.
And I eventually realized I didn't need the motor mounts at all. It was just a scam.
Oh, yeah, they couldn't find any codes, but later I paid a better transimission place and they found one, related to my thumping when decelerating from 60 to 59 and from 6 to 5. But it was almost stupid of me to check because the repair was almost certain to be more than it was worth to me, and indeed it was. But a year later the noise went away and stayed away. The only time a mechanical thing ever fixed itself IME.
Well, except the noise 5 seconds after I slam my front door. That went away after 2 years and 200 times.
New Ford 500. At around 40,000 after routing lube/oil. Your poweer steering fluid is dirty, needs changing.
Odd. I didn't have them do it and it was never mentioned again.
About 50K - you need new brakes. That kept on every oil change for a couple years and finally stopped.
Odd as the car is driven very conservatively. I doubt it had more than a couple hard stops in all those miles.
At 70K - You need new brakes.
I took it to Les Schwab tire (great place, no rip-offs) who checked and sais "I _tend_ to agree with them. I had them do it but still suspect he was just 'going along'.