Ripoff tire company

Page 1 of 2
Last summer I got four tires put on, less than 10,000 miles on them. Right rear tire has slow leak. Took it to discount tire, not where I got the tires, didn't want to drive 100 miles to get flat fixed.
Man said he needed to do safety inspection. He checked tires, mileage, and came in telling me I need new tires and he can fix me right up. The price he quoted was lower than what I spent last summer, but I had to keep insisting, I don't need new tires, I just got these last summer. It seemed like he was about to put on new tires whether I wanted them or not. I didn't even want a price quote.
Finally he gave up.
It's crazy the way he was trying to push me to buy new tires when I don't need any and don't want any.
I know he's probably been trained that way, but I don't like it.
Money, money, money, that's all they care about. Customer service comes in fifth.
On 7/13/2016 12:42 PM, cowabunga dude wrote:

Many many moons ago I worked for a muffler brake shock shop which I will withhold the name. This brake shop offered the "free" brake replacement when the original work was done by the franchise. Whenever a customer returned for brake replacements, we would inspect to confirm normal wear and tear then advise accordingly. My manager told me I had to tell customers they needed calipers or rotors or other misc parts, which was causing the brake wear, in order to continue honoring the "free" warranty. This also partook with other pats such as mufflers. A few of the other guys were also trained for this practice. Needless to say, I found other employment as soon as I could. I despise crooked people and businesses.

At least they didn't charge for fixing the flat. They watched me typing on the phone so that might have made them think I was giving a bad review.
He touched each tire with his thumb and forefinger just to satisfy himself that he checked, then showed me on a chart how worn out my tires are, and why I need new ones.
I have a problem with impulse buying and almost said go ahead, even though it was just last summer I got new tires. The word "new" is appealing. "NEW". Doesn't that work make you feel good?
Oh well, now I need to go out and flush the radiator and put in new coolant. It's been 108 degrees here and running the air conditioner makes the radiator boil over.
On 7/13/2016 1:55 PM, Meanie wrote:

Midas used to do this to me many years ago. Are they still in business?
On 2016-07-13 3:48 PM, Frank wrote:

They are in Canada, one just up the road from here.
--
Froz....

On 7/13/2016 3:48 PM, Frank wrote:

We have a winner.
There are still several in my area, though this wasn't the area where it partook. Regardless, I never recommended them to anyone.
On 7/13/2016 5:23 PM, Meanie wrote:

I don't trust any of the chain tire/repair/oil change operations. I'm sure some are honest and do first class work, but many are looking for the fast and easy buck. I've heard too many complaints over the years. Best to find a good local shop.
On 7/13/2016 7:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Agreed. I also prefer to give my money to the independent business man who relies on a honest days work than a chain with greedy CEO and corporate administrative personnel.
On 7/13/2016 6:49 PM, Meanie wrote:

[snip]

Agreed, but there is a downside. Generally both the small, independent shop and the "biggies" like Midas, et al. will get the job done. Not infrequently, you can drive in to either without an appointment, get the work done and pay through the nose.
OTOH, I've been fortunate to find some truly good one and two man shops where an appointment is pretty much always necessary for anything other than an oil change (if you're lucky) and they are usually so backed up with work that getting an appointment will take you a couple days to a week. The job gets done very well and quite reasonably with no padding or screwing around. That's WHY you have to wait to get in the door. <g>
Strangely, these places generally don't seem to spend a lot of money on advertising. Word of mouth seems to do them just fine.
On 7/13/16 7:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yeah, many years ago I took my wife's Pontiac into the local Goodyear shop because the air conditioner wasn't blowing cold. They told me several components in the AC system were bad and quoted me about $850 to fix.
I told them I needed to ask my wife if she wanted to fix the car as she was thinking about selling it.
That evening, I mentioned the situation to a neighbor who was a shade-tree mechanic. He looked at the car and found a loose coupling on one of the AC lines which he hand-tightened. I bought a couple of cans of freon and a recharge adapter for under $20, charged the system, and it worked just fine for the additional year we kept the car...
--
With all this “gun control” talk, I haven’t heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists— just from law
On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 10:55:39 AM UTC-7, SBH wrote:

Midas?
On 7/13/2016 7:18 PM, Shade Tree Guy wrote:

It's not as much of a secret as I thought.
On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 4:50:05 PM UTC-7, SBH wrote:

(snickering)
On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 9:28:41 PM UTC-4, Shade Tree Guy wrote:

midas was a pure ripoff here in pittsburgh. they sold me a nice new unnecessary cv joint.
i appealed and appealed, their customer support number must of been part of the ripoff.
one busy saturday morning i stopped at the store that ripped me off, demaneded a refund, they refused.
i told the waiting room full of customers they have their hand in your pocket andwill steal from you at every opportunity.
the store manager said i am calling the police to have you removed. i said i am leaving since i have now warned them.
within a week the investigative report on car repairs came out. midas and some others were the worst...... most midas closed and never reopened.
sears is just as bad. a friends on selles for sears. his car broke down, sears estimate was 1500 bucks...
i used my AAA card to have his vehicle towed to a indenpendent garage. they fixed his car for under a 100 bucks.
i quit using sears for car repairs...... one day a sears write up guy saw me, and said you dont come here. i first idnt want to explain it, the fellow was persistent.
so i told him its pretty bad when you try to rip off a fellow sears employee. i explained what had occured.. he said oh that explains it.... nothing more.....
On 7/13/2016 7:49 PM, Meanie wrote:

I've talked to other folks. Same experience all around. Midas uses what I call three level pricing. The phone price, the estimate price, and the finish price. Each one doubles from there.
On the phone: Oh, sounds like $75. Estimate: It's going to be $150. Completed job: Needed more parts than we thought, that will be $300.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 8:53:09 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

My daughter came home from college for a visit and I noticed that the exhaust system was making noise. I took the car into a Monro Muffler and Mike determined that the muffler was rotted out. Since it was the original 2005 exhaust system (muffler and main pipe as one unit) Mike quoted me a price for the muffler and pipe, adding "I'm discounting everything 50% off list price." Knowing that this is a typical sales tactic, I wasn't really impressed by the "50% discount" and based my decision to have it repaired solely on the bottom line price.
They replaced the parts and my daughter drove it back to school the next day. She called me and told me that the car was fine on the highway, but whenever she hit a bump while driving in town, she heard a banging from underneath the car. I told her to go out to the car, grab the tailpipe (when it was cool) and move it around. Bang...Bang...Bang with any sideways motion.
There is a Monro Muffler near her school, so I checked with Mike and he assured me that she could take it to any Monro Muffler for an adjustment. "Have them call me if there are any questions."
So, my daughter takes the car to the Monro near her school, hands the guy the receipt and explains the problem. The first thing the guy says is "Wow! You sure got a good discount at the other shop." Since he wasn't going to make any money on the adjustment, and wasn't trying to sell her anything, I have to believe that he was genuinely surprised by the discount that the shop gave me.
Maybe I was wrong in assuming that 50% is a standard come-on tactic. Other than wanting the work, I can't see why Mike would have offered such a deep discount. It could be nothing more than location, location, location. Maybe there's more competition near me than near my daughter's school. In any case, I'm glad the job was done here and not there.
On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 5:53:09 AM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:

They even charge for their "free estimates" STG
On 7/13/2016 9:42 AM, cowabunga dude wrote:

sounds to me like you need new tires all around.
On 7/13/2016 12:42 PM, cowabunga dude wrote:

I've had problems like this. With AWD tires, you must replace with same size as others and last time I bought an extended warranty. Flat on a Sunday and shop was closed so I had repaired elsewhere. Tire company would not honor warranty so I paid and told the shop that sold them to me. They repaid me.
Nissan dealer years ago could not find slow leak under warranty but tire repair shop found a nail in the tire and repaired. Guy I knew that ran a dealers repair shop says they ignore the small stuff as there is not enough profit in it.
Other tire dealers would base warranty on depth of tread. If half the tread was gone, they paid half, even if everybody knows tread wears much faster when new and slows down later.
On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 11:42:48 -0500, "cowabunga dude"

automotive technician for a "management position". I answered the ad and went for an interview. The question that the interviewer kept coming back to was "can you sell?" I told him I had no problem explaining what was wrong with a customer's car and selling the required repairs. Again "Can you sell?" I then told the interviewer in no uncertain terms that I would NEVER work for a crook who ripped off every customer that came in the door. I told him I could make a lot more money seeing every customer the second and third time than by taking every cent they has the first time round. A few months later the shop was closed and the owner behind bars charged with numerous counts of fraud (both customers and suppliers, I later found out)
The chain tire stores used to be the worst. I had installed new ball joints and shocks on my '63 Valiant and cranked down the torsion bars and took it in to Firestone for their "alignment special". Back then I think it was $9.95. They told me they could not align the front end because the balljoints were "almost falling out" and it needed (at that time) several hundred dollars worth of work on the front end. I told the manager he better fire his mechanic if he couldn't recognize a set of brand new Moog ball-joints and I took the car elsewhere for the alignment. At the time the shop I worked for did not have an alignment machine.