rim board I-joist, good and strong?

The only joist for residential houses I know is solid wood joist. It seems now some new homes use rim board I-joist. How good are they? Are they as strong as solid wood?

Some houses even uses wood floor trusses, similar to those shown in

Are houses constructed this way even safe to inhabit? I don't think I want to live in a house that uses wood floor trusses.

Reply to
John Smith

Paul Furman

The structural I beams whether they are made of 2X3's and wafer board or 2X3's in a truss pattern are way stronger then conventional lumber. They are also perfectly straight making for nice level flat floors. Don't hesitate to use them if you can afford them. They are a little more money.

Reply to
Randd01

Now hold on there...

This engineered lumber is LESS, not more expensive at my local lumberyard. Especially the particle/flake board I joists. (Unless purchased under the brand name "quiet floors")

Up until this Jan 1 it was all illegal to use here, as the town cosiders it a fire hazard, meaning that in the event of a fire, the house will collapse LONG before a home built the same way with true dimensional lumber. Now, If you used it to build your home there must be a warning sticker on your front door.

And those roof trusses are great, but one small problem - they're usually used in, or to make one of those beautiful walk-in attics, which then become impossible to walk in or utilize to it's full potential.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Im in MA USA here and they are legal here, just got done building a 4600sq ft house with them. Never heard of the sticker on the door thing but your point is valid.

Reply to
Randd01