Right size and place for the central A/C filter

Hi,
I have two spots where I can place the A/C filter. My intake openening is 20"x30".
However, that only leads to 20"x30"x15" box from which the 20"x15" chute that goes to the unit comes off. So I can either use a 20"x30" filter right at the opening or at 20"x15" filter right in front of the chute that goes to the unit.
What's the better filter size and location to use?
Many thanks in advance!
Sam
Sam Takoy wrote:

The larger the filter area the better. I'd go with the 20x30.

Larger filter has more surface area and will last longer between changing.

not only that, the large filters cost the same as smaller filters, so you get longer life for the same $$$
On 7/25/2010 8:54 PM, Sam Takoy wrote:

Use a pleated air filter, they have more surface area.
http://www.furnacefiltercare.com/pleated-air-filters.php
TDD