right name

Page 1 of 2

I'm trying to find out what the proper name is for what we call "monkey wrenches".
Can't recall, right now.......
rb wrote:

Crescent?
Bzzzttt..... wrong!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:05:29 -0500, rb wrote:

Stillson Wrench
On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:05:29 -0500, rb wrote:

Pipe wrench.
rb wrote:

Pipe wrench.
--

-G

Eliminate Googletards - http://www.improve-usenet.org /

Form what I can determine Monkey wrench is the proper term, if you are referring to a smooth jawed pipe wrench. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_wrench
on 7/20/2008 3:36 PM Eric in North TX said the following:

Here's a site that disagrees with the wiki site about the name. http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/moncky-wrench.html
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Once you've been sent to get a "left handed monkey wrench"; you'll never forget what they look like.
That pic is ONE.
On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 12:36:14 -0700 (PDT), Eric in North TX

Once you've been sent to get a "left handed monkey wrench"; you'll never forget what they look like.
That pic is ONE.
On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 12:36:14 -0700 (PDT), Eric in North TX

Once you've been sent to get a "left handed monkey wrench"; you'll never forget what they look like.
That pic is ONE.
Oren wrote:

heh... a little OT but following the link to Stillson you find a pic of my favorite pipe wrench. Apparently it's an antique, but it still gets the job done. I'm guessing it was left in the house by the plumbers that built it and rarely used after that; the jaws still look new.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 18:46:03 -0400, Nate Nagel wrote:

I was wondering where I left that.
The term "monkey wrench" is also used colloquially (and inaccurately) to refer to the pipe wrench.
So, I'm the one who is wrong!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Smooth jawed could also refer to a 'ford' wrench. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/fordWrench.php
supposedly the Model Ts came with this type of wrench and that is where the name came from.
Well , if it's a monkey wrench, then that's the proper name. BUT, if it's a pipe wrench, then it's a pipe wrench. Adjustable wrenches, such as those made by CRESCENT can also sometimes be called monkey wrenches by some.

It is a mispelling of Moncky. This is an old style adjustable wrench of sorts. There seems to be many stories of the origin of the monkey wrench name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Monckywrench.jpg
Sometimes a pipe wrench or Stillson wrench is called a Monkey wrench. This is not really correct as the pipe wrench has harden teeth and is for round pipe and the Monkey wrench is for the square nuts.
Someone mentioned Cresent wrench. This is a name brand of adjustable wrench that came later. Many call this type of wrench a Cresent instead of adjustable.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

That seems to still be common usage, although I don't know any fitters that still call a pipe wrench a Stillson. Ridgid seems to be the brand name most commonly used these days.
I'm trying to think of anything else that is commonly known by brand name... only ones that come readily to mind are Channellocks for water pump pliers, and Kleins for linesman's pliers.
nate
(which reminds me, I need to buy some new Vice-Grips...)
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

My old plumber explained that a "Stillson" wrench was a pipe wrench that had a different type of adjustment than what we see on other brands of pipe wrench. If you Google it, you can see the difference.
JK
rb wrote:

For the time being, "Monkey Wrench" is the proper name for a type of adjustable wrench with flat jaws.
The PC crowd is fast approaching, though...