Right glue for faucet handle cap?

The faucet handles in our house all have little white caps in the center covering the screw that holds the handle in place. They look like porcelain, but might be plastic, and have the words "Hot" or "Cold".
One of them fell off. They appear to have been glued in place. The residual glue looks like varnish. It's light brown, transluscent, and brittle.
What glue should I use to put it back on? It needs to be something that can be broken to get the caps off if the handle ever needs to be removed.
What glue did they use origianlly?
Can I use silicon sealer or something like that?
LurfysMa wrote:

That would be my thought, some clear silicone might be the ticket.
nate

I just called the plumber. He said that there should be a little metal ring that holds them in place. They just snap in and out. No glue. I checked the other faucets in the house. as far as I can tell, they are all glued in. On closer inspection, some of them were kinda sloppily done. Glue oozing out the side.
LurfysMa wrote:

Yep, anything adhesive is a previous homeowner fix. If try a silicone, don't use much or you'll have a heck of a time if need to remove it.
You might take one to the hardware store and see if by chance you can find a generic replacement in the specialty fittings section of the plumbing section. I've seen various types, but all that I've actually had had a spring "fingers" on the back side. These are pretty prone to eventually breaking so there is a sizable supply of replacements for them. For your style, don't know but would think it worth a look.
And, of course, if there is a "real" plumbing supply place handy that does sell over the counter as well as wholesale, your chances may go up significantly.
I'm surprised that your caps have been glued in. In my experience they are just a pressure fit so that they can be removed to replace the faucet washers, stems, cartridges, etc.
Any type of adhesive is going to leave a mess and make them harder to remove.
Are these antique faucet handles?
LurfysMa wrote:

Not exactly antique, but 30-40 years old.

I am stuck with a bath tub top edge mount American Standard (large spa type tub unit) with through the tub mounted faucets that have this problem.
Under the cap (glue fastened) is the screw for removing the handle body and faucet core assembly. I have to pry the cap off each time to get to the screw. Not a good design. Tub is 14 years old installed when house was new construction.
I use Liquid Nails to re glue it. The glue holds, and flexible enough to get loose when require. My circumstance has no water in the area of concern (unless there is a leak).
Morenuf
--
snipped-for-privacy@nobodyhome.com.invalid

IMHO:
Depends on whether there is a screw that needs access later. If so, I would use something very mild, like a tiny drop of waterproof elmers. If I didn't want to removed it later, I would use something like gorilla glue. Gorilla glue is some tough stuff, I've found out myself.
Now this is just guessing, you might get way with just snapping it back in place with a little nail polish too. :D
tom @ www.MeetANewFriend.com