Riding mower belt replacement ???

I searched under many names for a NG on mower+tractor+ outdoor equipment repair and found NOTHING. Don't know of any lawnmower repair groups.

Anyway.........

My daughter has a Craftsman 12 HP riding mower made by Murray .

I wanted to change the transmission belt and the blade belt.

I did the blade belt in about 15 mins. - no major work.

However the engine to transmission belt COULD be a nightmare since the belt is blocked if I tried to take it off from the top of the pulley ( seemed LOGICAL ) ( stuff in the way prevented my removing it - not enough clearance ) and also from the BOTTOM if I tried to take it off that way.

Taking if off from the BOTTOM would involve removing the trans braces and pillow blocks on the axles and other stuff on TOP of the pulley (where there are only about 2 inches of room to work in ).

Taking the belt off from the top would involve the same .

Even removing the "body" of the mower would involve disconnecting what looks like a fair amount of stuff - cutting height lever and connecting rods and spring, etc.

++++++++++

I can only imagine a fairly big chunk of $$$ to change these belts and this one in particular.

Needless to say, I put the TRANS belt back and only replaced the BLADE belt.

I can't believe Murray would design something to require what looks like a lot of work.

Anyone with some advice it would be appreciated.

TIA

Reply to
Conase

If it's a Craftsman go to the Sears web site and work your way down to lawn tractors. If you have the model number you should be able to find the exact one that you're looking for. From there, you should be able to get to the manual and parts list. The manual will provide all the instructions relative to changing out the various belts. I have a 14 HP Craftsman, about

Reply to
MLD

what model number?? is it a rear engine rider? Chip

Reply to
Chip Stein

Don't have the model number here.

It is a FRONT engine rider - 12 HP Craftsman twin blade 40 inch cut (?). Looks like every other rider of that type.

Reply to
Conase

Pull the deck off and do it from the bottom. a lot of times you can pull one wheel and pull the tranny bolts for that side and be avle to snake it in and out. when i worked on them professionaly i used to pull all the tranny mount bolts and hoist the rider off the tranny. but without a model it's hard to say, front engine murrays came in 36, 38 40, and 42 at least and they weren't all the same design. Chip

Reply to
Chip Stein

alt.home.lawn.garden

Reply to