Riding lawn mower problem

I have a Poulan Pro riding lawn mower. It has just started having a problem that I need help diagnosing. It is some kind of a fuel problem and is related to the position of the mower while cutting. My land is sloped and, when cutting the following happens. If I am cutting across the slope and my left side is on the downhill side of the slope, the mower gets plenty of gas and works perfectly. If I am cutting across the slope and my right side is on the downhill slope, it slows down and seems to lack power. It almost slows to a stop. The fuel pump is mounted on the left side of the engine. Any thoughts about what is going on will be appreciated. THanks
(Jack) wrote:

My first thought is that you probably don't actually have a fuel pump. Riding mowers typically have gravity fuel feed. If it did have a pump, it is unlikely that you could still drive the mower on any slope steep enough to affect fuel delivery -- however, this can happen with gravity fuel feed if the slope is steep enough, and a clogged fuel filter will make it worse. Have you tried changing it?
My second thought is that the slope may be steep enough that the hose from the fuel tank to the carburetor is above the level of the fuel (and thus you're getting air in the fuel line). This can occur either with pumped or gravity fuel feed. It's also much less likely to happen if the tank is full -- had you noticed whether that makes any difference?
If the slope *is* that steep, you probably should reconsider your mowing pattern.
--
Regards,
Thanks for the reply. I am almost sure that I have a fuel pump. Also, this is a new problem and I have had no problem mowing this sloped land for the past 2 years. Generally I start off with a full tank. The fuel filter was changed recently. I did manage to almost run the mower out of gas a couple of weeks ago and you may be right that I have air in the line. How would you go about purging a fuel line of air? THanks again for the reply.
On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 22:00:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 21:19:00 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMjuno.com (Jack) wrote:

Clean the fuel cap vent, or loosen the cap a tiny bit.
-- Oren
That makes sense. I went out and cleaned it out. How did you come up with that?

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 14:38:12 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMjuno.com (Jack) wrote:

I used to have to cut a sloped front yard and my 18HP tractor would act up. Once I cleared the cap vent - she ran fine.
It is also a "troubleshooting tip" for small engines with fuel problems. Good practice to start with the easy stuff, first :)
So did clearing the cap vent work. You didn't mention it.
-- Oren
On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 09:10:32 -0700, Oren wrote:

Probably have to wait until the next time he mows :)
No, it didn't work. Sorry

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 02:21:38 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMjuno.com (Jack) wrote:

Not familiar with the engine. Does it have a low oil pressure cut off?
-- Oren
"I didnt say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."
I am sorry. I don't know and don't know how to find out.

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 21:19:00 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMjuno.com (Jack) wrote:

If your carb has a float, it could be leaky. A little gas in the float might make it heavy enough to starve the engine of gas when the engine is sloped the right (wrong) way with respect to the float hinge.
I've always thought it was safer to mow a slope up and down unless it's a very gentle slope....
HTH,
Paul F.
On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 21:57:24 -0400, Paul Franklin wrote:

a heavy float will cause the needle valve to dump more fuel in the bowl
On Aug 4, 3:19 pm, snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMjuno.com (Jack) wrote:

If your tractor has a Kohler twin engine you do have a pulse fuel pump. Make ABSOLUTELY sure you replaced the fuel filter with the correct Kohler OEM part. There have been numerous posts and reports about problems after a fuel filter change when NOT using the correct Kohler fuel filter. fuel filters may look similar but thwey have different filtering characteristics and flow rates.
You can check here for the right one... http://www.perr.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?search tion&category=KOH3&keywords=all

I had this problem when water had gotten into the fuel tank on my Honda. The Honda's tank has a slight depression located away from the fuel pick-up. The depression is there to collect water and other crap that gets into the tank.
However, once the depression was full of water, the water would spill out of the depression when the mower was on steep slopes, and get into the fuel line feeding the carb.
KB