RIDGID Lifetime warranty on power tools

Yes indeed

Check the out at the Home Depot

All power tools, (cordless too), and has a warrantry that covers defects and 'normal wear' for the life of the product!

This includes batteries too!

Check them out

For purchases through 12 - 30 - 2003

Yahooooooooo!!!!!

Reply to
StacyW

Humm...that might be a local thing, since I cant find that information anywhere on the Home Depot website, and when I try to get warranty information on the made in China Ridgid line of power tools, it says to call internet information, so I did, and batteries are only covered for 2 years according to someone named Claire that answered.

BTW...that lifetime tool warranty promotion has been going on since before Thanksgiving....for the money, I will take the Milwaukee standard lifetime warranty anyday.

Reply to
CBHvac

No No NO

It's not the Home Depot that has the warranty

Its the manufacturer!

I just their orbital sander today

With a lifetime warranty, I'm checking into their cordless drills too!`

BigAl

The lifetime warranty INCLUDES BATTERIES

That's what makes it so good!

Normal wear is EXACTLY what a battery does when it fails to hold a charge, or does not hold the charge as much as a new battery.

Check the Ridgid website for warranty info

We are giving many relatives Ridgid cordless tools for X-mas

I love it!

Reply to
KL

Not as good as it sounds, and I quote from the Ridgid website.

"What is not covered"

"Failures due to misuse, abuse or normal wear and tear are not covered by this warranty. RIDGE TOOL shall not be responsible for any incidental or consequential damages."

This means when the thing wears out, breaks, or the batteries stop holding a charge the they won't cover it. The warranty only covers defects and workmanship. This isn't like say a Craftsman handtool warranty.

Reply to
Mike P

Actually is sounds VERY GOOD

I'll quote from the Ridgid website. LOOK UNDER LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY, which is what the tools purchased till 12/31/03 comes with:

"WHAT IS COVERED UNDER THE LIMITED LIFETIME SERVICE WARRANTY : This warranty covers all defects in workmanship or materials and NORMAL WEAR items in this RIDGID tool for the lifetime of the tool. This warranty is specific to this tool purchased between 9/1/03 and 12/31/03. Warranties for other RIDGID products may vary."

Reply to
KL

Take a look at it/them and see if they meet YOUR quality expectation in new. If they do, the warrantee is as good as the name behind it. Does Rigid have the same reputation as dewalt (power tools) or snap on (hand tools)? These companies don't need to offer me a lifetime warrentee, because they have earned my trust. I do not expect any tool they make will prove to be defective. I might Rigid a go if I were convinced the initial quality is there, but I suspect this is not the case.

Reply to
Zaf

Ive heard this warranty is temporary it wont be continued next year, that may change. But for now it is to bring in new customers. They Seem well built but as in any new product bugs may be found. Time will tell.

Reply to
m Ransley

No disrespect to any of the posters in this thread, but..

It sounds like a way to promote the product...and Lord knows it needs it.

Well...it the tool is THAT good...why are they offering the warranty only till the end of the year?

Ok..even if it DOES cover each and every thing that may go wrong with the tool...how many hoops will you have to go through to get warranty service? Emerson does not make this line. It is made in China. It could be made by Ryobi, or Hitachi.. We looked at the line, and I have to say, its got to be the gawdawful ugliest line ever. Home Depot Orange...wonder why that is? I noticed that the good old Rigid line of saws has changed, and are MUCH cheaper in contruction than the older Emerson models. Thats just a personal observation, and looking at it from the standpoint of someone that will use, and abuse and ask his cordless drills to do things that most will never on a daily basis, I have to ask...has the line been out long enough to be field proven? Will it tolerate commercial work? Will it stand up to the daily beating it will take? How well is customer service? Customer service really stands out to me..Milwaukee and Bosch have proven themselves..Bosch will next day air you a new drill if yours fails, and also send a pre-paid return box for the broken one.

In a couple of years, I might consider them, once they have proven themselves. None of the professionals that I know will risk trying a new line right off the start. Its been talked about in another group, and while the line might be just fine, its not proven to us. When Milwaukee brought out the LocTor line of drill, I made a comment to a rep that I wasnt sure about the change in the drills, but it looked good, and if it stood up like they said, I would buy one. He gave me a 18V unit, and told me to go abuse it. Run the thing as hard as we could and if I liked it, he would take it back and give me a brand new one to put on the van. We did everything you are not supposed to do to one. Ran 4 1/2 hole saws on high speed, trying to load it up, ran 1 inch mason bits with it...ran 3 inch self feed bits as fast as it would dig...snapped off a few bits with it...did everything we could to kill it... A month later, we got our free one, and bought 4 more.

I have to admit tho..that the line of Ridgid drill and power tools will probably do anything that the average sometimes user wants. They might even be one hell of a product. I am just not willing to find out in the middle of a job that they suck. BTW, I am a die hard Ridge Tool Company user...all our pipe tools, benders, cutters, wrenches etc are Ridgid. There really is no other line for such.

Reply to
CBhvac

Just the lifetime on batteries turned me on to them. My Dewalt batteries lasted about 4 yrs before they lost a substantial charge capacity

I love Toyota and think they make a great car. Would I buy one with only a

1 year warranty because I trust them?

Not me

Dee

Reply to
Fullhouse

Sounds like a few people are jealous that THEIR new tools warranty have run out, or about to run out and if they would have bought the Ridgid ones, their tool would be warrantied for life!

thats the way it goes

The company stands behinds their tools for life, I like that

Gets my hard earned money

But tools before 2004, keep them for life (cordless and corded)

Reply to
Fullhouse

Not really..its like this...

I know what works. I know I can afford a new battery IF I need one. All my Milwaukee stuff still has a warranty...even what I bought 5 years ago..:) just not the batterys, and since you can get them at wholesale pretty cheap, its not like we didnt buy a few extras to have in case...

For a home user, it is a good thing I suppose...but no..not jealous at all. If it works for you, and you are happy with it, by all means, buy the unproven stuff.

So does a few others...this is called a promotion to saturate a market..

If it works for you...I dont want to be at a jobsite thats promised, with no temp power, needing that last 4 inch hole cut.. Hey...its not like its not a good idea. Really. But it just seems odd that a company like Ridge Tool, suddenly switches the entire line over to this made in China stuff, and has to offer a lifetime warranty. Warranties are good of course, and thats what I like about the other Ridge tool items we have, but to warranty a thing like a battery, that is known to fail...and fail regularly...well, one has to wonder..(like in the service end..) how much extra are they tacking on to cover a lifetime of failures on a very common item. I mean..I can offer a lifetime warranty on thermostats...(factory is 5 year on the ones we use) but I might have to double the price to cover the ones that will fail..out of warranty...or any part for that matter...

Reply to
CBhvac

Here here, I totally agree. With my expierience in the past with these 2 company's, I wouldn't care if they offered a 30 day warranty, I would rather buy those instead of any other brand. I've had a few, and never been dissapointed with any Milwaukee tools and haven't had one fail due to factory defect yet or to working it to hard. Being American made is just a bonus. I also think that buying a $20 battery twice a year I can justify, considering how much money those tools make me on the job.

Also, CBhvac, I seen you said something about a jobsite without power, and you wouldn't wanna be stuck. Look into Milwaukee's Cigg Lighter chargers, well worth the money on the jobsite.

Just my .02 Doug

Reply to
Doug

Rigids lifetime battery warranty Ill bet it doesnt remain , It cant remain . It wil be changed, if in fact that is what they are doing. It happens all the time. And why no 2004 lifetime warranty. I smell a rat.

Reply to
m Ransley

$40/year in batteries?

At a 30 year career, that's $1260 in batteries (included a 5% state tax)

So, your drill will cost you $1460 and mine will cost $200. PLUS I WILL STILL HAVE A WARRANTY ON THE WHOLE DRILL!

HAHAHAHHAHA

Reply to
Fullhouse

Look at steel mill pensions that have been canceled, Enron , tyco, Warrantys and deals change. You think they will let you return it more than once, I will never buy another Sears car battery, this may be local but my Blazer wouldnt start, 3 yrs on a 72 mo warranty Alternator

-starter tested ok, Sears took out the battery , charged it , said "See it holds a charge' no Warranty sucker. Next morning No start. What BS I went and got a Delco. Point is Batteries wear. They are going to find an out. Dont beleive me , then you will be disapointed.

Reply to
m Ransley

That's the lifetime warranty expires 12 31 2003..

Its not for EVERY Ridgid tool purchased!

Its for a limited amount, ONLY

I just went out and bought 3 12V 2X drills for my brothers for Christmas gifts!

Reply to
Fullhouse

Well it sounds to good to be true, I called Ridgid, and thats what they said, I asked " If in ten years the batteries fail they replace them" they said yes . So buy one unit now before the lifetime is over on 12-

30, then future tools get same battery and swap when they die.
Reply to
m Ransley

I think all lifetime warranties could mean lifetime of the company. I had a computer built at a local computer store some years ago with a three year warranty. They went out of business 1 week after selling it to me!!

So it is hard to say if Rigid will exist 5, 10 ... years from now.

Secondly, they can "fix" stuff with parts of their choosing. As others have pointed out about Sears now replacing ratchets with refurbs etc. Maybe rigid will give you refurb batteries etc etc.

I would buy a tool on its merits today, rather than on the hopes of receiving some service I may or may not receive in the future.

Roland

Reply to
Joe Doe

What does a "life of the product" warranty mean? If the product "dies", is the warranty over?

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush