Ridge Vent Installation Question (existing structure)

I have some guys adding a ridge vent to my house (not new construction).

Of course, they stripped off the old shingles at the ridge and cut through the wood to make the vent. When they added the ridge vent system, I don't think there were shingles covering all the wood underneath the vent - you know, all the way up the roof to the vent hole. There was some exposed wood underneath the new ridge vent - not much, mind you; but the pictures of ridge vents that I've seen show shingles all the way to the hole.

Is it common practice when installing a vent to leave some exposed wood, or should these guys replace the shingles up to the vent hole before covering with the vent hood?

Thanks for your help! squanklin at yahoo dot com

Reply to
Squanklin

I had my ridge vent installed in connection with a tear off and re shingle so I did not have the problem you seem to see.

Reply to
John_B

Bare wood , so water will go in the attic and under the lower shingles, Right.

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
Phisherman

Thanks - gonna check on that. There was very little wood showing, and an architect I know suggested that a minimal amount of wood will be ok, though not preferred, because it will be covered by the hood.

I'm in the middle of the job now, and I'm going to make sure the rest of it is done in the "preferred" manner.

Squanklin

Reply to
Squanklin

The ridgevent came with installation instructions. Those you want to read. Your answer is there.

Reply to
Art