RFID credit/debit cards

Have you heard about them? If not, you might want to watch the video below. Me, I'll be wrapping my cards with aluminum foil when/if they get RFID.

dadiOH

Yes, there have been several expose' about RFID credit or debit cards. The RFID is often visible if you really look closely. These can be scanned by hackers with briefcase size scanners. If someone sends me RFID card, I'm going to either punch it with a sheet metal punch, or drill with a cordless drill. The foil pouches, might work. Might not.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My debit card came in a sleeve that has a foil layer between 2 layers of paper . Not sure if it's got an RFID chip or not .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

83LowRider

Just destroy the RFID circuit, easy.

Use a hammer and a towel, find the little dimple on the card where the chip is located, cover the hammerhead with the towel, whack the shit out of the dimple.

Reply to
Lab Lover

The expose showed that if you look closely at the back of the card (might need magnifying lens) you can see the shadow of the RFID chip, and sometimes can see the antenna web.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hammer and pin punch. Hammer and phillips screw driver. Drill with small bit. Etc....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How about metal foil tape used for ducts? You could peel a small piece and stick it over the chip.

Reply to
Meanie

This isn't email, it's usenet.

Have to cover the RFID antenna area, on both sides of the card. And probably the edges, too. So no RF energy gets to the antenna.

You foil tape your chip if you want. I'm going to use my hole punch and take it right out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You can try it, but as the RFID operates at a very high frequency, the signal could travel through the edge of the card where there is no foil.

What is wrong with the hammer? It even works on passports and leaves no visible signs of tampering.

Reply to
Lab Lover

I found it much easier to request cards that contain no RFID chips that the cards issuers were glad to supply at no charge.

Reply to
tom

Just use some transparent aluminum tape. I think Scotty has some.

Reply to
krw

The video made it to snopes

A valid security number is not transmitted by RFID. The information picked up can be used if the security number is not required. It is probably required for everything online (or when the card is not present).

My understanding is that the cards used in Europe (and coming to the US) use encryption, so the method in the video wouldn't work. And further, they use a rolling security code (like a garage door opener). You shouldn't be able to clone a European card. Card readers are likely to shift to RFID when those cards are out. The retailer is responsible for fraudulent charges (instead of the credit card company) if they use a mag-strip reader when the new cards are out. That should make mag-strip obsolete. If you have one of those card you may not want to destroy the RFID feature. (Target started installing readers for these cards and stopped because other merchants weren't installing them.)

Reply to
bud--

Don't think this is right. If it were a high frequency, they wouldn't need a multi-loop antenna a third the size of the credit card. Given the shape antenna, no matter the frequency, any edge radiation will be miniscule. AFAIK, all credit cars use 13.56MHz.

That sounds like an invitation for a free colonoscopy.

Reply to
krw

You are right, I was wrong. ISO 14443 13.56mhz

Maybe so, but some may enjoy that.

Reply to
Lab Lover

You are right, I was wrong.

Reply to
BurfordTJustice

___________

There is a holographic field on many credit/debit cards now. Could use that instead of RFID.

What I don't understand is why they are still using magnetic strips on backs of cards.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I freely admit when I am wrong, that is true. If only you had 1/100th the integrity you might receive some respect.

Reply to
Lab Lover

I freely admit when I am wrong, that is true. If only you had 1/100th the integrity you might receive some respect.

Reply to
Lab Lover

If the store can read the card, some hacker can also. I don't have much confidence in RFID security. If I ever get one, it's being punched out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon