RFID credit/debit cards

Would you please post that again, and this time quote the relevant text?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Relevant quoted text helps.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

_____________

Evidently our views of this thread differ significantly. I'm viewing via google groups, so I see EVERYTHING. You must be viewing through a proper news reader, with killfiles and filters. So I respect that you must think I'm talking to walls. LOL ;)

FYI there is a spammer on here hocking credit card info. That is who I was referring to. Stunk up the room like a bad skunk, activity on the thread went down like the Hindenburg in 1937.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

What's to approve of?

I think you're an illiterate idiot. The thread is *not* about security. the thread is about mag-stripe functionality. They are perfectly functional and the reason they haven't been replaced *IS* inertia. Of course you're too damned stupid to be able to separate the concepts.

Reply to
krw

Somehow, your GG does some really strange paragraphs and word wrap, in my reader. But, now it makes more sense. Thank you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stormin Mormon wrote: "Somehow, your GG does some really strange paragraphs and word wrap, in my reader. But, now it makes more sense. Thank you."

On top of all that this is coming from a mobile - so it's a total Denver opening safety clusterf___k. LOL! :)

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Stormin Mormon wrote: "This isn't email, it's usenet. "

I'm sure Meanie knows that. Boiler plate signature, that's all!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

So you'll destroy the far more secure option to continue with the massively insecure option that led to the huge data breach at Target. Yeah, that level of ignorance is about your speed.

A magnetic stripe card contains the card holder's name, the credit card number, the expiration date, and the credit verification value (CVV). Grab that information (which is childishly easy to do with magstrip cards) and the card can then be cloned and used anywhere. That's why hackers target US credit cards and US retail operations, because US credit card companies have continued to use these insecure magstripe cards.

Infosecurity magazine, about the vastly more secure RFID credit cards:

There are two primary security measures that credit companies use to secure information on RFID credit cards: generating a unique transaction number each time the card is read by a scanner and restricting the distance that the card can be read to between one and four inches.

?There are only three pieces of information that are captured by the RFID terminal: card number, expiration date, and a control number that is generated per transaction by the chip based on the information that the RFID terminals sends to the card. It?s a unique number and it changes every time. If you were to capture the control number and try to use that information two minutes from now, it wouldn?t be viable?, Foley explained.

The RFID reader does not capture the name, address, or other personal information that is included on a credit card with a magnetic strip, he related.

Got that?

  1. The magnetic stripe is the huge security hole on credit cards. Cards that combine an RFID chip and a magnetic stripe have enhanced security due to the unique CVV for each transaction. The most secure cards are RFID only, no magnetic stripe.
  2. The RFID can only be scanned from a distance of 1-4 inches.
  3. The RFID generates a new, unique CVV to validate each transaction. Cloning the card won't work, because a cloned card will only have the single CVV that is printed on the card and contained within the magnetic stripe - and that can only be used once.

So yeah, stick to your highly-insecure magnetic stripe, because you're afraid of RFID. Idiot. Your card is more at risk using the old technology than it will be with the new.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Moe DeLoughan wrote: "So yeah, stick to your highly-insecure magnetic stripe, because you're afraid of RFID. Idiot. Your card is more at risk using the old ..."

I prefer NEITHER.

As I mentioned earlier there is also a holographic feature on the front side of cards, been there for 20 years.

Holo is far less subject to the wear of a mag-stripe, and it cannot be breached via wireless detection means. It's time to exploit holo's full potential.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

In the video, the guy got the credit card number and expiration number and cloned a new card. He did not get the security code, because a valid security code is not included in the scanned information. If the security code is required, as it probably is for all on-line purchases, the credit card number is useless. For point-of-sale terminals - which was used in the video - a security number is seldom (ever?) required (would be punched in manually), so the cloned card can be used.

With the European chip system (EMV - Europay, MasterCard, Visa), scanning the card gives you information that is encoded, changes every time, and can only be used once. It is completely different from what is on a mag-strip, so you can't clone it to mag-strip. (I don't think you could clone it to a chip and use that once either.)

EMV is coming to the US. After 10-1-15 fraudulent charges from a mag-stripe reader will be the responsibility of the merchant, not the credit card company. After that date using a mag-card should be rather difficult.

Reply to
bud--

Counterfeiting standard holograms is child's play, which is why they're found on so many counterfeit products, including credit cards. Yes, they can be made more secure, but then the cost per hologram goes from pennies to dollars, which limits their use on a wide scale.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

That's a false choice.

Irrelevant. The Mag stripe is needed. The chip isn't.

Reply to
krw

Hi, i sell fresh cc and cloned cards like yescard, for more info contact me at this adress m i s t e r s a f e 7 8 @ g m a i l c o m without space.

Please nobody under 18 years old

Reply to
mistersafe78

Have you heard about them? If not, you might want to watch the video below. Me, I'll be wrapping my cards with aluminum foil when/if they get RFID.

WW

Yes, this news has been out for months. It's still very much a concern.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
herb white