RFD: optical.servo.coin.marker

i need some help with new system my company is developing for purpose of marking rare coins with security code system uses precision laser to melt surface making low contrast 1 mm by 0.1 mm barcodes that is essentially invisible to observer unless coin catches light just right you can see system at http://shin-ra.com/index_senjutsu_rokko.html
i have tested system with many types of coins including ancient coins & coins from every nation i am having problems with aluminums coins at low laser power the barcodes is undetectable by scanner but at slightly higher laser power barcodes becomes very visible to eye
i am thinking of using optical servos in attempt to search the perfect power setting is anyone here familiar with such optical servos devices?
Wouldn't this lower the value of these rare coins? I can understand the need to securely identify valuable coins. But, etching in a bar code IMHO would degrade the coins. Is there some other less invasive way of tagging these coins?
Just wondering.
Draco
Getting even isn't good enough.
On 9 Aug 2005 08:14:12 -0700, the renowned "Draco"

I believe some items (such as integrated circuit packages) are marked by coating the surface with a film and then exposing the film to laser light. This method would leave the option open of removing the film.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
--
"it\'s the network..." "The Journey is the reward"
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

protection.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Tim Wescott wrote:

Did you pick up on his stated dimensions, Tim?
He's talking about a barcode mark that's only about .004" high by .040" wide and barely visible. Shure enough, my tired eyes would never find it without magnification.
I don't think I'd have a problem paying market price for a rare coin with that kind of mark on it, if it gave me even a tiny bit more chance to prove it was mine and recover it if it got "grew legs" and later turned up somewhere.

But it sounds like what he described would be "removable" by someone who knew it was there.
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Actually that wasn't my comment -- Sphero's remark was in reply to somebody named "Draco" who's original comment doesn't appear on my newsreader.

-- a coin with a big rectangular pit in it the size of an anti-theft barcode is one that says "hello, I'm stolen merchandise".
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I'm with you. Mark every valuable thing.
Imagine the Declaration of Independence with a discreent UPC in the lower corner.
HeyBub wrote:

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

What? And have the scanner beeping impotently every time you try to scan it? I should think that John Hancock would be your man.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
--
"it\'s the network..." "The Journey is the reward"

Did you see lightscribe ? HP uses that for printing DVD's.
http://www.lightscribe.com
--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'invalid\' when replying by email)
Genome wrote:

Try to shroud the coin in an argon atmosphere during the etch.
Sounds like a tremendously BAD IDEA. You're talking about destroying the surface of the coins, albeit in a minute way. Doesn't seem like all that good an idea.

there will be no market for such a product -- it would greatly lower the value of the coins. think of something else to scribe ...
--keith

Genome wrote:

D.
On 09 Aug 2005 23:33:45 GMT, "Genome"

Just a thought. The rim of the coins are often already ribbed. Is it possible to use these ribs to embed the barcode? Run a stylus or laser beam over the ribs and a barcode sequence can be read.
wouldnt hurt to adjust your clock;)

EEEEEEKKK!!!
PLEASE only do that to circulated Susan B. Anthony dollars and Eunice Shriver Commemoratives.
-- John
Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page http://mysite.verizon.net/jcarney44/coins/rccers.html
Why not just use a metal punch with a serial number. Just postion right in the center or other focal area and and give it a good whack with a hammer. Presto, the coin is marked . Seriously, in this day and age, it would seem prudent to PHOTOGRAPH the coin and store the image for future reference. Why mess with the surface of the coin at all!!?? Best Regards, O.E.Pepper
--
"I bought a book on how to get organized..but I can\'t seem to find it.."

"If I were any happier, I\'d have to be institutionalized."
This post looks suspicious and may be a troll.
'Genome' is certainly the nickname used by a poster in s.e.d, but he does not use supernews and does
added s's), is used by another poster in s.e.d, but he doesn't use supernews either.
Neither of them use the newsreader used for this post.
The GMT in the time and the inclusion of the demon.local newsgroup suggests one of the Brits who troll d.l.
--
Tony Williams.