rewiring permit snag - abandoned wires

How will you or for that matter the inspector would know if there isn=92t some errant voltage running through those flush cut conductors that have been connected by some idiot from behind some wall someplace just waiting for someone to flip a switch someplace to energize them and then have something that has fallen on the bare conductors to start a fire?

Reply to
Molly Brown

Check them out with a meter? If they are connected to anything at least one of them will be grounded. If they are really cut at both ends there should be an open to ground on all wires. If you are really worried, twist a wirenut on all 3 wires bundled together. That bolted fault would trip the breaker immediately. No you wouldn't need a purple wirenut. ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

Okay, you ask your local electrical inspector the difference between thinset and regular grout and see what kind of answer you get.

Reply to
HeyBub

Andy comments:

Save all the aluminum wire you pull out. If you strip off the romex covering and use the individual wires, they make excellent tie wraps for shubbery and gardening purposes. Black, white, or metal , depending on what matches the color scheme of your garden.

I use 6 inch lengths to tie up my tomato plants. Best use of aluminum wiring I have seen to date.

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
Andy

I'm not an electrician but have done quite a bit of home wiring. You would have to be a *special* kind of idiot to find a cut off wire behind a wall and connect it to a live circuit. None of the cut wires will be connected to anything so there would be no reason to ever re- use them. This probably won't be an issue anyway because judging from the way the original wiring was shoved on top of the concrete wall in the basement with no staples I doubt any of it was stapled.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

Aside from making me sleep better at night knowing a professional has looked at my work and my house is not 55 times more likely to burst into flames...

A permit allows me to: Call my homeowners when the work is done and get a discount for the upgraded panel & wiring get a discount for the hard-wired smoke detectors Sell the house with an upgraded panel and no Aluminum wire Every other house in this development (about 250) has Al wire Keep Mike Holmes from stopping at my house and saying "rip it out!"

Reply to
Limp Arbor

I've heard of people rewiring entire houses with 18 ga lamp cord. Much easier to fish through the walls.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've not visited England. I'd sure like to, some day. I've heard the countryside is more breath taking beautiful than much any where else in the world.

And, the people are kind and friendly. Except for the Mussies, drug addicted TWOK'ers, the Yobs, ruffians, gypsies, and such.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Voltage is provided. Current runs through.

There is typically something called a circuit breaker box, which allows one to disconnect the wire from the incoming power wiring.

With an open cut wire, there should either be a dead short, or an open. In either case, not much chance of over heating.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm nominating this for the good idea of the week award. Do I have a second?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

BINGO! FINALLY, a correct answer.

Reply to
Steve Barker

For a small country, we certainly have a wide variety of scenary though we don't do deserts, glaciers or canyons!

In the words of Douglas Adams "mostly harmless", though we do have our share of the latter groups you mention.

Reply to
Clot

For a small country, we certainly have a wide variety of scenary though we don't do deserts, glaciers or canyons!

CY: The pictures I've seen, very elegant. James Herriot's books, and the TV series, I really enjoyed. One email friend of mine sent me a couple photos of the country side near Thirsk (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) where Herriot lived. Of course, that's a pen name for the man.

In the words of Douglas Adams "mostly harmless", though we do have our share of the latter groups you mention.

CY: I read Hitchhikers's Guide when I was in college. It was a bit of cult classic at that time, and I was curious what I'd missed. It's quite a book. Well, I'd best get some more salted peanuts, and try to find my towel. The towel is not optional. Do I see yellow?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If the wires are cut away from the breaker box, and there is obviously no continuation of that wire to the breaker box, it shouldn't be too hard to derive. Certainly any inspector will figure it out.

Reply to
Bob F

It also gives to direct access to the expertise to get good answer to your questions, just like you did in this case.

Reply to
Bob F

If you are an idiot.

Reply to
Bob F

That aluminum wire is dangerous. If not used properly, fires can result. I use only copper for this purpose. :-) It's what I have laying around.

Reply to
Bob F

'It must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays.'

Reply to
Clot

What do you British folks think about Obama returning the bust of Winston Churchill to the UK that was in the oval office?

Reply to
trader4

Ouch! That's the most awful poetry I've ever heard!

"Ode to a lump of green putty I found in my navel".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon