Rewiring and junction boxes

Where's the connection to the ceiling light?

Mark Lloyd

Exactly. Which is why I wouldn't wire things that way. I said that many posts ago earlier in this thread...
-Tim
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:49:48 -0500, "Tim Fischer"

I've seen one. My grandmother had a high outside outlet put in. That's just the right place for the holiday lights she wanted.

Mark Lloyd

Yup.
How about one centrally located junction box (e.g. under center of floor) with wires out to each outlet in all directions (like a big ol' spider). Or perhaps one JB in the NW corner and one in the SE corner, each feeding two or three outlets on each adjacent wall.
Life isn't just all or nothing.
sdb
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 18:25:29 -0600, sylvan butler

That's the way most of my rooms are wired (except the JB is on the ceiling, as this house is on concrete). I do sometimes with the lights were on a separate circuit.

Mark Lloyd

It's not just a matter of "like". Pigtailing grounds has been mandatory for a while, as have neutrals in most cases.
It's not a matter of safety of connection per-se, it's more a matter of safety during rework. Eg: if you pull a device for replacement (or abandoning it).
Pigtailing a ground means that even if you pull the device out, the ground is maintained thru to the rest of the circuit, even if you don't cut the hot.
Similarly, losing a neutral to downstream outlets can be bad.
Especially with shared neutral circuits.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Depending upon your city's building code... here there has to be access to j boxes. So whereever there is a jbox there is a cover. This, as mentioned by Chris, may be an issue if you wish to finish off the basement later. I would go with Tim's less is better. Be sure to check on the position for drilling your holes through your joists. I am not up on these codes but I think it is something like, no closer than two inches from the floor upstairs. So no one later nails through and hits your wire, but the center of the joist is better. That way if you enclose it later you can nail into the joist from the bottom and not hit the wire either.
glassartist wrote:

mentioned
center
into
lot
urn
luck.
You may already know this, but receptacles in the dining room are required to be on a 20 amp circuit. Check article 210.52(B)(1)