Rewire Fan?

I have a ceiling fan and the remote reciever has failed (Hunter Fan, failed in about a year, reciever costs about $50 and is backordered...Great product, huh?). Anyway...I want to rewire the fan to operate manually. Can anyone suggest a resource that would help me understand how to do this? I have a pretty good knowledge of electronics.

Thanks.

Reply to
David Glass

Manually? Like a hand crank?

J/K Do you mean there is no switch for it?

later,

tom @

The Real Tom

Nope...don't want to hand crank it! And yes, there is no switch. It was marketed with a remote control for both the light and the fan. It's easy enough to install a switch for the light, but I'm not sure of the operation of the fan. Hoping someone can coach me so that I can install a switch for the fan as well.

Regards.

Reply to
David Glass

Are you rulling out just getting a fan that is pull chain opperated?

I have single switch the powers the whole fan. Then at the fan, I have two pull chains, one for light combination, and the other for fan (off and speeds).

Might be easier way to get the results you want.

hth,

tom @

The Real Tom

Yes, this fan is relatively new and I want to use it.

I also have a switch - on the wall - that powers the fan and light. Currently I've removed the remote reciever and wired the switch to control the light ( I now have a $180 dining room light!) Now I want to rewire the fan to include, as you suggested, a pull-chain switch. My basic understanding of how the fan works is that there are three different rotors (maybe not the right word) in the fan housing that correspond to the three fan speeds. These rotors are energized separately depending upon the speed you select. I think that the 4 wires I see coming out of the center of the fan are the connections to these rotors. I'm hoping to find a resource - a knowledgeable person or written material - that will confirm my understanding of how the fan works and then tell me how I can wire the fan to operate from a manual switch, such as a pull-chain. Sounds like a lot of trouble? Probably, but these problems are always fun to try to solve.

Thanks.

Reply to
David Glass

Ok, so you have a single switch that powers the whole fan assemly, that's ok. Many fans come with pull chains to operate the fan and light seperatly at the fan itself.

4 connectors, then mostlikely that is 1 equipment grounding conductor "ground", 1 grounded conductor "neutral", and 2 ungrounded conductors (hots for fan motor and light(s)). Nothing complex, if you are comfortable and safe with electricity, you should only have to follow the manufacturers instructions.

Remember, ifyou still feel off about doing the work, I would hire someone, the electrician's bill is cheaper than a hospital bill. ;)

Good luck,

Reply to
The Real Tom