Rewinding a Garden Hose?

Page 2 of 2

Agreed.
These are known as "high maintenance" customers. These customers are also "figured-into" the overall business, or they should be.
I walked into the Burger King ("Have It Your Way<r>) and ordered a Whopper<r> with "light mustard". The hapless and probably new cashier, without so much as a pause, replied, "We don't put mustard on the Whopper."
I replied, "That's fine, would you please put 'light mustard' on mine?"
The cashier finally realized their error before the transaction took much longer. I got HEAVY mustard. <sigh>
There will always be a percentage of goods-returning customers that will simply be dissatisfied that something - ANYTHING - is wrong with their purchase and that they must (or believe they must) return to the seller for an adjustment. These are the folks that would bitch if they were hung with a NEW rope. There is no satisfying these people.
--
:)
JR

Jim Redelfs wrote:

But you were the one complaining that the merchant should take back anything for any reason in any condition "to keep the account"...

Yes, I was.
More accurately, I recall putting the onus on the original manufacturer or, at least, several "layers" back from the final reseller. I don't believe that agreeing with the above, simple statement, discounts the overall point I made.
In my case, I would be too embarrassed to return a non-defective, new hose because it was too SHORT. I would simply acquire yet another length of hose, too.
--
:)
JR

Jim Redelfs wrote: ...

Balderdash... :(

That may be true, but we all pay for that in the end. If the buyer screwed up, why should the retailer and the manufacturer have to accept the loss? It is was defective, then yes, but if you can't measure, blame yourself.

I agree. If it's my mistake, I won't return something unless they can resell it. (I have a feeling that some stores still send it back. I don't know what happens after that. Do they repackage it or sell at a discount?)
And I make a point of buying previously opened packages, so stores will continue to take back ones with bad packaging. It's better all around. And I buy dented cans in the grocery store, even if they are regular price with the regular cans, unless they dented all the way up to the lid.
I once bought a auto/airplane adapter for a laptop, at Best Buys, that had been opened. It was already labeled as being a return item. When I got it home, it didn't have all the tips it should have, and it didn't have the tip I needed which it should have. Best Buys took it back and gave me cash. (A sad fact that people buy these things, and steal the tip they need, and the guy taking returns might not look carefully enough. Unfortunately, not all tips fit all adapters of the same make. )
... ...

NO, DAMNIT, NO!!!
Do NOT eat from (well-)dented cans. It's *dangeroous*!
At least it once was.
I remember way, way back to what, the late 50's or early 60's, I think it was.
This fancy-soup company's soup came in cans.
Some people (a family? Several? Once city? Several?) ended up with some dented cans, and ate the soup.
(I think it was vichyssoise (sp?) -- to be eaten cold.)
And DIED!
Something about hairpin-holes caused by the denting, oxygen getting in and turning the soup to poison.
Was in the news for a while -- company quickly folded.
Careful, careful with dented cans!
(Maybe they do things differently today.)
David

You never know how your words will go on Usenet.

Good luck. Even the best, pure rubber hose wouldn't be very compliant when it must be rolled as TIGHT as possible for re-packaging for retail sale.

Did I win the prize?
Good luck with your hose.
--
<grin>
JR

Thank God for Costco!
They take back ANYTHING, at ANY TIME (as long as they're still selling the item.)
David
On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 08:21:35 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

There was no deity involved. -- Spock.

W. eWatson wrote:

Have you considered buying another length of hose and adding it to the first one?