Rewinding a Garden Hose?

Page 1 of 2
I happened to buy a 75' 5/8" garden hose the other day, and after uncoiling it found it was too short. I asked the h/w store if they would take it back, but they said only if it's rewrapped in a form that make it salable. Since the packaging is intact, my problem is rewinding it. I measured a wrapped one at the store, and the center is about 6" across, and the stack of coils is 6". I figure if I could find a cylinder 6" in diameter that's maybe 8 to 10" in length I could do it. So far I've not found such a cylinder. Maybe I'm overlooking a simpler solution?
W. eWatson wrote: ...

Yeah, buy another 25-footer or whatever you need for the extra length...

Buy another 50' and a Rapid Reel to hold it all. www.rapidreel.com Best damned hose reel I ever had.
W. eWatson wrote:

Is it less than 75' long or too short for your purposes? If the former, tell them it's not salable anyway and you expect a refund. If the latter, why would you want to return it? Just buy another hose and put the two of them together.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

for various purposes. Potential fires, and keeping some trees on the property well watered during our drought like conditions in N. Calif this summer. 500' are spread out right now. I got tired of moving the hoses around.
Yeah, I might keep it, but if there's a simple solution, I'll do it. Otherwise, it's a keeper. It was too short for the particular purpose I had in mind.
W. eWatson wrote: ...

Well, if the particular purpose hasn't gone away, the short one to make up the difference may be more handy in the long run as two pieces instead of another really long one, anyway.
If you're determined, sounds like a 1-lb coffee can or similar would be about the right size; a piece of 5" or so pvc drain, make a tube out of cardboard, a cutoff of a piece of firewood, ... any number of things out to be serviceable as a core I'd think...

Yeah, I think I'd rath3er use a 5" CORE THAn a 6" CORE anyhow. It would be hard to keep it firmly on the core while winding, but if I'm wrong about that, you can make the core bigger by wrapping a towel around it.
mm wrote:

Personally, I'd just keep it as a spare- my time is worth more than the hour it would take fighting with it and returning it for twenty bucks or so. But I understand how things get when something ticks you off, so if you still want to return it, leave it out in the sun for an hour before you re-roll it. That will make the hose much more cooperative, since they are spooled up at the factory still warm. (According to 'How Its Made' TV show, at least.)
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

dpb wrote:

bottle. Start winding.
Or, if you have a saw horse, cut the ends off the coke bottle, stick a pipe or 2x through it, put that into the saw horse. Wind.
Or move the dang faucet 25 ft. closer to what you want to water. That would be the "high tech" solution :o)

Wrapping 600' of hose -- around a COFFEE CAN?
David
W. eWatson wrote:

You need a plumber to put some faucets every 50 feet across your property. Then you won't need all that spaghetti laying around.
Claude Hopper wrote:

Didn't you determine what you needed before you bought? A quick walk would have told you 75 ft. would have worked or wouldn't. Either add another hose or wind it up and take it back although, the fact that it's too short is your fault and not the seller's. Cheers, cc
Cubby wrote:

600 feet! Plain garden-hose?
Doesn't the side-friction pretty much stop all water-flow?
Especially with standard water-faucet water-pressure.
Seems like you'd need a coupla-inches diameter ...
David

Tell the seller that, unless they "claim it out" with their vendor, you will begin to shop elsewhere and, forever after, tell everyone you meet that they should NOT shop there.
They should accept the hose and give you credit for it.
Any viable retailer has enough clout with their vendors that, with a little paperwork and "ownership" by the person working claims, the UNCOILED hose can be sent back for credit.
In any case, the seller should take it back even in its UNSALABLE condition. They should, at least, give you in-store credit for its return.
There is a merchandise return "flow" out there. The uncoiled hose should eventually find its way back to whatever outfit wants to finally dispose of it. That could include sale at a factory store or something similar. It may never be recoiled as new, though. Good luck.
--
:)
JR

Jim Redelfs wrote:

Why should the vendor of the hose take it on the chin because someone walked into a retail store and bought the wrong length hose?

To ensure good customer relations. (Read: Keep the account.)
JR
Jim Redelfs wrote:

There can be a customer it's better to _not_ keep...