Reversing the door on a Kenmore refrigerator.

Page 1 of 2

The refrigerator/freezer is model number 795.76284600. There are holes to flip the top and bottom door hinges to the opposite side. Unfortunately, the bottom hinge doesn't have a removable pin to flip to the opposite side. If it is removable, I can't figure out how to remove it and reinsert it on the opposite side. Do I need to order a bottom hinge for the opposite side?
Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA
On 7/10/2010 8:15 PM, David Farber wrote:

Usually the top freezer door hinge becomes the bottom fridge door hinge, assuming the freezer is on the top.
David Farber wrote:

The manual for this model at http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_pdf/OWNM/L0606607.pdf seems to be saying that the pin stays on the hinge when moved to the other side, and the door just sets on it. BTW, others should know this is a bottom-mount freezer drawer model. No freezer "door" as such.
Reed wrote:

The mounting holes for the bottom hinge are mirror images (y-axis symmetry) so that would force the bottom hinge to flip upside down and therefore there is no pin to secure the bottom part of the door. Page nine of the owner's manual appears to be incomplete as it seems to be missing reference numbers and directions as to how to complete the reversal. Am I missing something?
Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Are you sure the bottom hinge doesn't become the top hinge and the top hinge becomes the bottom hinge when you use the other side? That's how most of them work.
David Farber wrote:

Yes the drawing is a bit hazy :-(
It seems to me that there is something wrong with the bottom hinge you have. Looking at my Sears frig. (2 door top freezer), I suspect the parts are the same as yours, but the hinge in question has the pin sticking out from both sides, so whichever way it is installed (left side or right side of box), there is a pin that sticks UP for the door to swing on.
On the hinge you have, does it look possible to hammer the pin back so it sticks out the other way ??
The part drawing at http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/index.jsp (enter the model # and look at the "Case Assy" section) is not much help either, except that it only shows one part # (282B) for the hinge, not anything like separate left and right versions
BTW to other posters, on these Sears models, the hinges do swap side-to-side, not top to bottom (yes, there are some that do that)
--Good luck

== On my Kenmore fridge each hinge just moves left or right and not up or down. I don't see what the problem is as they are designed for quick change. Just pry out the plugs and get going and then plug the unused holes on the other side.
==
Reed wrote:

Here are some pics.
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/farberbear/Fix_it_stuff/Hinge.jpg
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/farberbear/Fix_it_stuff/Hinge-2.jpg
Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA
David Farber wrote:

Well, with the hex head on the pin, the picture sure makes it look like the pin is meant to be unscrewed from the hinge and then screwed back in on the other side.
Reed wrote:

I was thinking the same thing too but it was hard to apply force to the pin and hold the hinge in place. I don't have a vice to lock it in place. Maybe I should just leave it screwed into the fridge and then try to remove the pin.
Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

You remove the pin and you will be buying new ones.
They swap from top to bottom when you use them on the other side.
jamesgangnc wrote:

The top and bottom hinges look nothing alike. In fact the top hinge mounts to the top of the unit with three screws entering vertically. The bottom hinge mounts with four screws entering horizontally. I can't envision any arrangement where these two could be interchanged. The pins would be not be pointing up and down anymore.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

good catch!
jamesgangnc wrote:

It took some doing to loosen that screw but it came out and it was reversible. Problem solved.
Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA
Reed wrote:

Any chance the hinges swap both side to side AND top to bottom? Diagonally.

I suggested that earlier.

You know, I've seen those hinges with the pins sticking out both directions, and did not know why until now. You learn something new every day. Dang.
Steve
Shoulda got a Westinghouse:
http://www.keyflux.com/shep/mad4.htm
nb

Go to your friendly Sears store and talk to them.

I called my local friendly Sears store and was transferred to the Kenmore service line. I was told that they were unable to help me because the refrigerator was three years old and out of warranty. I tried explaining that it wasn't broken, I just needed some operating assistance. I was also told, due to liability issues, they were unable to assist me further but would happily send out a service technician.
Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA