Reversing Attic Fan Motor Direction Possible?

I am replacing the old attic fan motor with a slightly less used one from another house. The motor is a a two speed motor, but this house is only a one speed wiring and switch. After installing it, using only the high speed terminal, the fan is going in the wrong direction. I tried reversing the wires in the box to see if that'd reverse the direction but no joy. Does this indicate that this motor cannot reverse direction?

Reply to
Joe

Hi, Depends on what kinda motor.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

In the dusty recesses of my mind, I seem to recall that electric motors are wound to run CW or CCW. My guess would be no, you can't.

However, have you considered flipping the fan blade over?

Reply to
Rick Blaine

There are reversible fan motors. I used to have a 21" box fan that had one. Don't know how common they are, or in this size.

But it would have an extra wire. And there is an extra wire, but you think that is for the other speed. If you're not positive, it wouldn't take long to connect it instead and find out.

Strangely, that wouldn't change anything, but turning the whole motor over would. Would it be safe to run that way? You'd probably have to build a bigger shield and screen.

Reply to
mm

Most motors can NOT be reversed.

Reply to
deke

I would qualify that. I think if they are designed to run in reverse, they will have separate windings for each direction, with only one of the windings energized at a time.

Reply to
Rick Blaine

Could be. Is the wiring inside a box with a plate on it? Some have wiring diagrams inside, some have a plate on the motor. Some have none and cannot be reversed. Check the manufacturer web site also.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Is there a belt you can cross?

tom @

Just Joshin

Sure you aren't using the wrong pitch blade from the old fan with the 'new' motor?

Reply to
Mark

If it has a capacitor to start/run then yes it can be reversed. But you have to know what you are doing. Find an electrician/AC friend to do it for you, or take the motor to a rebuilding service. They should do it for a coupla bucks. It only involves moving a spade lug over.

Reply to
xPosTech