Reversible dishwasher sticker (clean/dirty)

Page 1 of 3
Many years ago, I used to have a little magnetic sticker in the shape of a flower. It was green on one side with the word "clean" and yellow I think) in the other with the word "dirty". It was made of that flexible magnetic-infused rubbery material. We kept in on the door of the dishwasher to tell everyone whether the the dishes inside were clean or dirty. It stopped a lot of "arguments".
It must have gotten lost in a move, 'cause I can't find it. I've searched for something similar. I've found hundreds of clean/dirty magnets, but they are all the kind that you rotate. Both the "clean" and the "dirty" are on the same side. And they are metal, not rubber. I'd really prefer one that is reversible and made of that soft magnetized rubber material.
Does anyone know where I can find one?
I did find a craft project, but I'm not that crafty:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/craftygoat/2423583659 /
I found a place that sells sheets of flexible magnetic material that can be printed on with an inkjet printer, but there is $100 minimum:
http://www.duramag.com/flexible.html
They referred me to McMaster.com, which sells a 12" x 24" sheet that can be printed on both sides for $7.52:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#flexible-magnets/=arzkgq
If I can't find any ready-made, maybe I'll buy a couple of sheets and make my own! ;-)

Can't you just open the washer and see if the dishes are clean or not?
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Reversible-dishwasher-sticker-clean-dirty-617719-.htm DA wrote: Chemo the Clown wrote:

True. Definitely true for dishes but may not be so apparent for cups or wine glasses. My dishwasher has a little container for detergent which has a cover that opens to let it out. It can open but never close by itself. I load detergent the first thing before anything else, so if I open the washer and the cover is closed, it means it's still dirty. Indeed, you still need to open it but you don't have to scrutinize the actual load for cleanliness.
If I had a reversible sticker, I'm guaranteed to forget to flip it when needed. The detergent cover is a better indicator for me. Granted, I only have to look at it a couple of times a year, mostly when someone else loaded it for me, which is rare.
------------------------------------- /\\_/\\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV

That's what I was thinking. Do you run your dishwaser 14 times a day and you don't remember if what's in there now is clean or dirty??

The only reversible one that a quick Google Products search found was from magnets.com, and since they do marketing magnets, minimum order was 500 :-)
This one's rubber, but is a rotate style, not a flip style. http://www.kitchenworksinc.com/itemDetail/24469/PLASTIC--CLEAN/DIRTY-MAGNET
Looks like craft time at casa de Mills.

Do you have a large family? Can they not see whether the dishes are clean or dirty by looking in the dishwasher?.......well, maybe if you are one of those people who washes the dishes before you put them in the dishwasher maybe not......
I just empty the dishwasher really soon after I run it so the only thing in it till run time are dirty dishes. It's just easier that way.
If you don't empty the dishwasher right away you will always have that problem.

There is always a tiny bit of water pooled in some upside down items in the top shelf like coffee cups. And then there's the fact that the dirty dishes are... gasp... dirty! (I'm not a fastidious rinser.)
MartyB

--
That one really gets me. My parents actually do wash their dishes before
they put them in. I just take off the obvious chunks of food. My dishes

I like the clean/dirty idea magnet idea. With just me and my wife at home, it is usually a day or two before we fill the washer up. Many times we will turn it on at night before bedtime. Sometimes my daughter will drop by and maybe the teenage grandson. They may put something in the washer. My wife usually puts a roll of paper towels over the washer door when the dishes are being washed and clean.
On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 14:26:59 -0800, Heather Mills wrote:

It's probably still on the dish washer... in the old place.
I remember looking around my last, empty house right at the end of the move. Taking one last look at the empty house and thinking, "Well, I guess that's everything".
Except all the pictures were still hanging on the walls. Duh!
My way of tell if the DW is clean or not is to empty it out as soon as the level is disengaged. Then there's no wondering. Of course you still have the option of leaving the lever engaged if you don't want to do it right then and there.
-sw

You're probably right, but what's the statute or limitations of property contents? ;-)
Heather Mills wrote the following:

I don't know about the magnets, but I usually find that the inside of the door is dirty when the dishes are dirty, and clean when the dishes are clean. When loading dirty dishes in the washer, drop some scrapings or coffee spills on the door's inside. When you open the door next time, if the door is still dirty, so are the dishes, and vice versa. Actually, I believe homes should have two dishwashers. One for dirty and one for clean, which change places pretty regularly. .
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 1/27/2011 7:00 PM, willshak wrote:

That's how I know, too.

No arguments in my house. I could hide a million dollars in there & nobody would find it. Clean dishes are in the cupboard. dirty ones go in the sink. Dad moves them around sometimes.
I swear I'm the only one that has the secret handshake to open the DW door.
Maybe that's the easy way.
Jim

HEY!! THAT'S where I'll hide my chocolate chips from now on. The SO will NEVER think of that.
On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 18:06:15 -0800 (PST), Kalmia

I hide my $7 chocolate bars under the fruit in the refrigerator. So far it has proved impenetrable.
Jim

Hmmmm......maybe in my bottom drawer in an old tortilla package? Thanks - I was running out of idea.
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

That would drive me bonkers! I sure don't want to see a bunch of dirty dishes sitting around the kitchen when they could surely sit out of sight in the dishwasher waiting until the machine was filled and ready to go. It doesn't drive you nuts?

Nope. I 'do' dishes at 5am. By the time I have more, the washer is ready to be emptied. Dinner dishes go in the sink-- and I'm not in the kitchen until 5am the next day. . . and we repeat.
Sometimes I do 2 loads in a day- but it is rare. If I'm in the kitchen I'm cooking, not looking into the sink.<g>
Jim

Stick the words you need on some of those flat magnetic things on which lawyers are wont to advertise. Frugal and keeps em out of landfills.
( I don't get it - I KNOW when the dishes are done and unload promptly.)