Reversible dishwasher sticker (clean/dirty)

Many years ago, I used to have a little magnetic sticker in the shape of a flower. It was green on one side with the word "clean" and yellow I think) in the other with the word "dirty". It was made of that flexible magnetic-infused rubbery material. We kept in on the door of the dishwasher to tell everyone whether the the dishes inside were clean or dirty. It stopped a lot of "arguments".

It must have gotten lost in a move, 'cause I can't find it. I've searched for something similar. I've found hundreds of clean/dirty magnets, but they are all the kind that you rotate. Both the "clean" and the "dirty" are on the same side. And they are metal, not rubber. I'd really prefer one that is reversible and made of that soft magnetized rubber material.

Does anyone know where I can find one?

I did find a craft project, but I'm not that crafty:

I found a place that sells sheets of flexible magnetic material that can be printed on with an inkjet printer, but there is $100 minimum:

They referred me to McMaster.com, which sells a 12" x 24" sheet that can be printed on both sides for $7.52:

If I can't find any ready-made, maybe I'll buy a couple of sheets and make my own! ;-)

Reply to
Heather Mills

Can't you just open the washer and see if the dishes are clean or not?

Reply to
Chemo the Clown

The only reversible one that a quick Google Products search found was from magnets.com, and since they do marketing magnets, minimum order was 500 :-)

This one's rubber, but is a rotate style, not a flip style.

Looks like craft time at casa de Mills.

Reply to
Jason Tinling

Do you have a large family? Can they not see whether the dishes are clean or dirty by looking in the dishwasher?.......well, maybe if you are one of those people who washes the dishes before you put them in the dishwasher maybe not......

I just empty the dishwasher really soon after I run it so the only thing in it till run time are dirty dishes. It's just easier that way.

If you don't empty the dishwasher right away you will always have that problem.

Reply to
ImStillMags

True. Definitely true for dishes but may not be so apparent for cups or wine glasses. My dishwasher has a little container for detergent which has a cover that opens to let it out. It can open but never close by itself. I load detergent the first thing before anything else, so if I open the washer and the cover is closed, it means it's still dirty. Indeed, you still need to open it but you don't have to scrutinize the actual load for cleanliness.

If I had a reversible sticker, I'm guaranteed to forget to flip it when needed. The detergent cover is a better indicator for me. Granted, I only have to look at it a couple of times a year, mostly when someone else loaded it for me, which is rare.

------------------------------------- /\\_/\\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV

Reply to
DA

It's probably still on the dish washer... in the old place.

I remember looking around my last, empty house right at the end of the move. Taking one last look at the empty house and thinking, "Well, I guess that's everything".

Except all the pictures were still hanging on the walls. Duh!

My way of tell if the DW is clean or not is to empty it out as soon as the level is disengaged. Then there's no wondering. Of course you still have the option of leaving the lever engaged if you don't want to do it right then and there.

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

There is always a tiny bit of water pooled in some upside down items in the top shelf like coffee cups. And then there's the fact that the dirty dishes are... gasp... dirty! (I'm not a fastidious rinser.)

MartyB

Reply to
Nunya Bidnits

You're probably right, but what's the statute or limitations of property contents? ;-)

Reply to
Prof Wonmug

Heather Mills wrote the following:

I don't know about the magnets, but I usually find that the inside of the door is dirty when the dishes are dirty, and clean when the dishes are clean. When loading dirty dishes in the washer, drop some scrapings or coffee spills on the door's inside. When you open the door next time, if the door is still dirty, so are the dishes, and vice versa. Actually, I believe homes should have two dishwashers. One for dirty and one for clean, which change places pretty regularly. .

Reply to
willshak

Do you have a large family? Can they not see whether the dishes are clean or dirty by looking in the dishwasher?.......well, maybe if you are one of those people who washes the dishes before you put them in the dishwasher maybe not......

I just empty the dishwasher really soon after I run it so the only thing in it till run time are dirty dishes. It's just easier that way.

If you don't empty the dishwasher right away you will always have that problem.

Reply to
Julie Bove

I like the clean/dirty idea magnet idea. With just me and my wife at home, it is usually a day or two before we fill the washer up. Many times we will turn it on at night before bedtime. Sometimes my daughter will drop by and maybe the teenage grandson. They may put something in the washer. My wife usually puts a roll of paper towels over the washer door when the dishes are being washed and clean.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

That's how I know, too.

Reply to
Cheryl

No arguments in my house. I could hide a million dollars in there & nobody would find it. Clean dishes are in the cupboard. dirty ones go in the sink. Dad moves them around sometimes.

I swear I'm the only one that has the secret handshake to open the DW door.

Maybe that's the easy way.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Stick the words you need on some of those flat magnetic things on which lawyers are wont to advertise. Frugal and keeps em out of landfills.

( I don't get it - I KNOW when the dishes are done and unload promptly.)

Reply to
Kalmia

HEY!! THAT'S where I'll hide my chocolate chips from now on. The SO will NEVER think of that.

Reply to
Kalmia

I hide my $7 chocolate bars under the fruit in the refrigerator. So far it has proved impenetrable.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

That sounds like a good idea.

My scheme is this: If the door is shut completely, the contents are clean and need to be put away.

If the door is ajar, the stuff inside is dirty and the washer is waiting for more dishes to make a full load.

Aside:

I've been adding a teaspoon of TSP to the washer to make up for absence of phosphates in the newly compounded detergents.

WOW! What a difference!

When I exhaust my current supply of liquid Cascade, I'm gonna get powdered detergent and add the TSP to the box.

Reply to
HeyBub

With that system one would need a sticker to remind to flip the sticker, to remind to flip the sticker, to remind to flip the sticker, into infinity. My dishwasher has two little green lights that come on when the washing is done, they go off when the door is opened... that's all the reminder one should need... but... not everyone has functioning brains, now do you get it? Someone named Heather (airhead name) would obviously need a "Wiped/Unwiped" sticker on her ass. LOL

Reply to
Brooklyn1

That simply means that your water is too hard... you need to install a water softener before all the plumbing in your house suffers chronic arteriosclerosis and your horrendous plumbing repair bills far exceed the cost of a water softener.... just the savings from using half as much cleaning products alone will more than pay for the softening... and you'll never again need to decalcify your plumbing/bathing fixtures.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

ide quoted text -

That's what I was thinking. Do you run your dishwaser 14 times a day and you don't remember if what's in there now is clean or dirty??

Reply to
itsjoannotjoann