Reusable furnace/AC filter

Hi, So called elctrostatic washable/reusable filter. Anyone using it? Is it worth the $$$? Our filter size is pleated 16x25x5 usually I replace them twice a year. I just cleaned out ODU condenser coil(little dirty), indoor A coil(very clean yet. Delta temp. is 17 deg.
On 07/20/2013 07:04 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I had a house that apparently had had the furnace run for years with no filter at all. We added A/C and at the same time a Honeywell electrostatic air filter. It did seem to catch a lot of mung, but it took a professional duct cleaning to really get the place clean - some of the gunk was sticking to the sides of the ducts.
As to the "electrostatic" filters that aren't powered but just replace the typical pleated paper filters - I have no opinion, but am skeptical.
With the Honeywell, it was nice to be able to run the elements through the dishwasher rather than having to run to the store. I have to admit to running the pre-filters through the dishwasher as well despite the instructions stating that they should be replaced when dirty.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
[...]
On 7/21/2013 9:39 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I seem to recall, when getting a new oil furnace a few years ago, the installer wanted me to buy one of these units for about $500. I did not get it.
Tony Hwang wrote:

If it doesn't have metal collector places and a high voltage power supply it isn't a "real" electrostatic precipitator. Those work really well and collect dust like an old CRT TV screen, but aren't cheap upfront. They do last nearly forever and all you do is wash and dry the collectors and reinstall them. Normally you use a cheap regular pre-filter before them to prevent larger clumps of dust, hair, etc. from getting on the plates and shorting them out. You normally know it's time to clean the plates when you hear a little arcing. For regular non-powered filters I prefer the 3M Filtete filters.
Pete C. wrote:

Really what I have is Honeywell F300E-1019 EAC. The power nodul went bad when one unit shorted to ground. I managed repair the module. But I've been using pleated filter after pulling out elements. So I was just wondering if there is another alternative. MERV 13 pleated one seems doing well. Yes EAC makes zap, zap noise and smells ion somewhat too. I used to wash them in dish washer as well.
Please provide some numbers. Cost of pleated? Cost of washable? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Hi, So called elctrostatic washable/reusable filter. Anyone using it? Is it worth the $$$? Our filter size is pleated 16x25x5 usually I replace them twice a year. I just cleaned out ODU condenser coil(little dirty), indoor A coil(very clean yet. Delta temp. is 17 deg.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Merv 11 pleated one is around 45.00, reusable like 90.00. I think reusable one is not as good as pleated ones for filtering.