retrofit 1-gang box that attaches to stud?

I want to add an electric outlet on the other side of a wall that has an outlet. The wiring would be trivial.

However, I don't like the common retrofit box that uses a pair of fly-out plastic tabs to grab the drywall. Hard pulls on electric plugs may break the tabs or the drywall.

If I put the retrofit box next to a stud, is it kosher to add some screws inside (at an angle) or use glue to attach it to the stud?

Or is there a more secure type of retrofit box?

Reply to
bob

There is one with metal "wings", RACO 506, available at HD

Retired

*I always shoot one screw into the stud to make the box more secure in addition to the wings or Madison Bars. Usually a #8 sheet metal screw will suffice. The trick is not to drive it home as it will distort the box if you sink it too far. I do this for metal boxes as well as plastic. I would not recommend glue.

John Grabowski

John Grabowski

Hannibal Lecter

*I have used that style box once or twice. I think it is slightly easier to install the old work box with wings.
Reply to
John Grabowski

I like that. I'll have to keep an eye out for it at lows and home despot.

Reply to
jamesgang

I'll keep an eye out for that unique kind of retrofit box but if I don't see it at the local hardware store I'm just going to use the regular kind and add a screw.

Thanks to all who responded.

Reply to
bob