Retro Grounding Outlets

Just bought a house, built in 1963, that only has grounded outlets in the bathrooms, kitchen and the outside outlets. These outlets are GFCI and they do trip when the test button is pressed. The rest of the outlets in the house are not grounded. I removed one of the outlets to see if there was a ground wire in the box. No such luck. Light tugging on the wires tells me that they are probably stapled inside the wall. Do I have to run all new wire back to the panel or can I run an additional wire (Green?) to the outlets? I haven't even started looking at light fixtures yet.
Gordon wrote:Just bought a house, built in 1963, that only has grounded outlets in the bathrooms, kitchen and the outside outlets. These outlets are GFCI and they do trip when the test button is pressed. The rest of the outlets in the
house are not grounded. I removed one of the outlets to see if there was a ground wire in the box. No such luck. Light tugging on the wires tells me that they are probably stapled inside the wall. Do I have to run all new wire back to the panel or can I run an additional wire (Green?) to the outlets? I haven't even started looking at light fixtures yet.
1963? Did you do a proper testing of the outlet and box to see if it's grounded? It could be that the wires are in conduit, and the ground connection_is_ the conduit, or the boxes could be connected externally. Take your tester, stick one lead into the hot(small)slot, and touch the other lead to the screw in the center or to the box itself. If it lights up, you're good to go. If not, you've got some fishing to do. Tom
tom wrote:

Testers using a neon light will light up with a very small current and will not detect a reliable ground. Using a 100W light bulb would be a lot more reliable.
Bud--
As Bud has noted, those receptacle testers can only report a defect. They cannot report good conditions such as a good ground. They can only report a bad ground. Why? Bud provided the example.
tom wrote:

If the cable is BX you can ground the outlets to the box

The outlets that you think are grounded are most likely not grounded either. Someone most likely upgraded to the GFCI stuff at some point nad didn't put on the stickers to tell you there was no equipment ground.
If you need a ground in certain locations you can have new wiring run to that location but unless you have a specific need for a ground just leave it be....
Steve B.