Rethread drawstring on shorts

I hate that job, but I just found a quicker way to do it.
I had a spool of .095 weedwacker line, and that stuff is stiff, slippery, thin, and strong.
It was easy to work a length all the way through the hem of the shorts, then tape the drawstring on the end and pull it through.
Probably all of you already know good ways to do this, but this was the easiest I've come across so far.

I use a safety pin.

I used an old coat-hanger, straightened, but the weed-wacker idea sounds better.
To keep the drawstring from pulling through again, double or triple the knots that are already in the string.
--
Tegger

I use a safety pin, the biggest that will fit through the hole. Pin it through the end of the drawstring and slide it along the channel until comes out the other end. Unpin it and you're done.
On 11/29/2013 03:00 PM, Tegger wrote:

I tried that a couple of months ago, but found that the straightened hanger got caught up about a third of the way over. I ended up curving the hanger to match the curve of the shorts, and it worked out perfectly.
Jon
On 11/30/2013 11:16 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Stick a safety pin through the string and then feed the safety through the channel....a little slow, but they don't get lost or stuck :o)
On 11/29/2013 4:29 PM, TimR wrote:

I simply walk around with my shorts down around my knees. I'm really quite lazy. ^_^
TDD
On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 17:51:54 -0600, The Daring Dufas

You walk 'round the 'hood like that?

Yea, I be draggin. ^_^
TDD
On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 23:00:12 +0000, Tegger wrote:

I use tent-pole restringing wire (which comes with the new tent-pole elastic thread, which I sometimes use as the drawstring).
I do like the idea of the weed-whacking string though, as it's more flexible than steel wire.
On Friday, November 29, 2013 3:29:27 PM UTC-7, TimR wrote:

Drawstring on shorts? Never heard of such a thing. What happened to elastic bands?
On 11/29/2013 8:31 PM, Roy wrote:

I'm wearing shorts right now that have an elastic band and a drawstring. I haven't had to use the drawstring but if I lose a lot of weight, I may have to use the drawstring. I wish I had shorts like this back in school, it may have prevented upperclassmen bullies from pulling my shorts down. ^_^
TDD

My sweats all have both.
On Friday, November 29, 2013 4:29:27 PM UTC-6, TimR wrote:

f .095 weedwacker line, and that stuff is stiff, slippery, thin, and strong . It was easy to work a length all the way through the hem of the shorts, t hen tape the drawstring on the end and pull it through. Probably all of you already know good ways to do this, but this was the easiest I've come acro ss so far.
I use a large paper clip, the rounded end helps it go thru easily.