Rethinking "Made in China"

Page 9 of 16

Leon wrote:

Google "humor". You might want to buy some.
Snip
Try volunteering in a school for awhile and you will have your eyes opened.
The problem starts at home.
Totally agree with that statement. We want to keep up with the Jones' although we don't have the education or aptitude to do that so both of us have to work to keep up, and we still want 3.8 children, but we don't have the time to supervise them. We want the school to do their share in raising our children but don't do any thing to hurt their feelings or discipline them more so than we would.
The ones in charge mostly being elected into the position and those that have the powers to appoint positions really don't care if the education system/factory turns out a smart child or not. They are supervising/baby sitting for the parents, the ones too busy to properly watch over their own children.
The teachers eat poo. They have to deal with the bureaucracy, don't scold Mary, don't make Juan learn or speak English, make sure every one gets a trophy, make sure they are taught the achievement tests, waste time with kids that need a whoopin but their parents will not give them one. And for God's sake don't show any extra attention to those that have true potential.
The good teachers find better jobs with less stress and a job that means something, something they can proud to have been a part of. The good teachers go to private schools where nonsense discipline matters get handled and not shuffled into the next class.
Eventually the good teachers are very few and far in between. Not so many fresh college graduate teachers have the maturity to deal with the politics. The good ones find a better job.
Slowly but surely the school system becomes filled with "not so many" good teachers and yet there are still lots of teacher in the public education system. These teachers unfortunately are also a casualty of the system. Fewer and fewer qualified teachers are attracted to the public school system and finally the system takes what it can get.
What the system gets becomes another aspect of the problem and the cancer spreads.
And the parents are Ground Zero for that problem.
Greed!
TMT
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:08:39 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Shhot the politicians and lawyers first and mabee the rest could be spared.

That'd be a pretty neat trick, considering that the distributor on a slant-six is half-way down the block on the passenger side, and the exhaust manifold is all the way at the top of the engine on the driver's side. You'd think that someone who'd done all that work on a slant-six would know where the distributor is.

Long arms. They say memory is the first to go ... Anyone know what the hell I was burning myself on?
Probably replacing the starter, which is on top, on the drivers side.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Ummmm...... No, the starter is *not* "on top" on a slant six. It's on the upper side of the slant, yes, but it's down at the bottom of the block, just like it is on every other engine I've ever seen.
Does one replace a slant six starter from under the hood "on top" or from laying on the ground "underneath"?
I've always done Chrysler slant six starters from under the hood.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Almost the ONLY way, on most.
On Dec 18, 9:19am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I'd still consider it "on top" as in one would replace it from under the hood, not by crawling underneath the car like one would on most engines...
nate
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 14:19:01 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Depends on your definition of "top" The engine lays leaned to the right - and the starter lays on the "top" or Left side - while the distributor hangs, with the oil filter, on the "bottom" or Right side. You pretty well have to change the starter from above because it generally doesn't fit between the block and the steering box working from below. ANd the exhast and intake manifolds limit access from above, particularly when hot.
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 08:34:26 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

That WAS a nasty job. Had to do it in a blizzard, in a shopping plaza parking lot on Christmas Eve, leaving the next day from Waterloo Ontario for Banff Alberta - 1969 Dart in 1971/72.

The edge of the rocker cover and the side of the cyl head. Or the oil filter.
I ALWAYS pulled the distributor to do points on Slant Sixes. ALWAYS set to #1 TDC first too. And I did a LOT of them.
My 170 always had the points set on a distributor machine to be sure there was no bounce or float at 6500 RPM - always used the Blue Streak High Performance points - the only kind that wouldn't either bounce, float, or break the spring. (206 RWHP through the push-button automatic at 6000 RPM ( 60+ in first, 90+ in second, and bury the speedo in third) It's the only car I've ever owned that I could redline in top gear.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I built a 170 slant six that came out of a 64 Valiant and dropped it in a 65 Dart. I installed a 3/4 race cam and found the biggest one barrel Holly carburetor I could find and that car would do 60 in first and 100 in second by holding the shifter in gear. It blew the stock muffler off so I installed one of those Thrush mufflers. I replaced the little 13" wheels with a set of 14 inchers and found a set of Firestone Grand Prix radial tires and a set of heavy duty shocks. I had to beat the lip of the front fenders out a little so the tires wouldn't rub. The car would take a corner so hard that it snapped a front hub out of a brake drum. At a wrecking yard, I found these huge finned drums and spindles on a V8 Dart and installed those which solved the breakage and braking problem. The car had a single master cylinder, ditched that and got a dual master cylinder from a van. What I loved about my Mopars is that I could get parts from different models and mix and match. It was a lot of fun. It's been about four decades since I had that six cylinder terror but I miss it more than any of them.
TDD
No new text?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

My next door neighbor has 2 Chryslers. Both cars sound like bombs exploding when they start their cars.

I can still remember back in the 50's hearing our neighbor start his '56 Dodge. It was a godawful sound very fitting for such an ugly car. Remember the three-tone paint jobs available back then? Most every maker had two-tone, but Dodge had to top them with three.
Over the past 48 years, I've owned many different brands of car, but never anything from Chrysler. Nor will I ever. I still don't like their style.
-snip-

Oh man you missed a couple of goodies-- I had '66 Dart from 76-84 & replaced it with a 84 Reliant from 84-'01.
I liked the Reliant so much I tried to find another Chrysler product- but they had already dropped the K line and had nothing to offer. Ford and Chevy have split my business since 95.['95 Taurus, '01 Impala- and a '10 Focus]
Jim
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Were they using gear reduction starters that early?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_2OBC2d93g

that's a GOOD sound!
nate
--