Rethinking "Made in China"

I doubt that reading high would last for ten years. Eventually, some meter reader would perform actual reading, and that would be the end of the schtick.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My son's calculus teacher asked the students , how to do, a problem, she could not figure it out.

I was making a compairison, cigaretts/cancer, It started with restrictions, then came the bureaucrat crap and eventually the cancer spread to the teachers.

Don't recall saying the teachers were the cause but they have been sucked in and have become part of the problem. The kids are more intelligent than most of the teachers these days in the HISD.

That is right and the good ones eventually leave. Those that can't do anything else or are in it for the benefits remain.

Correct, not the cause but do become part of the problem.

The only decent ones my son went to was the private school K-2 and the HS

9-12, the other 3 sucked.

Yeah they were better teachers. There was a waiting list for them to get into the school. Problem kids were few and very far in between. My son knew of "1" in the school, a frined of his, and he tas transferred out.

"Part" of the problem and the ones we delt with, 3-8 grades seem comfortable with that. They did not care for 3 way meetings with the principal however.

And this is because the teachers were so brilliant you think.

I would not say brillinat so much as above average and the teachers had nothing to do with obtaining the scolarships. That was all on the kids to do the leg work. The system was totally different in that school all the way up to the principal. Teachers were allowed to teach and they did teach. And yes most all of the teachers in that school were impressive, even to the kids. Remember, the good teachers were lined up to get into Kerr. They wanted to teach there, that came out at every PTA meeting.

In the other schools the teachers reminded me of typical "government workers", there for the benefits. I know that their attitudes were not all their fault, the system is to blame but many of those teachers were like many of the kids, lost. You know when the system sucks badly enough and you cannot attract good help because of that fact you settle for less than desirable to fill the classrooms. That is what I saw.

Do you call only accepting students with at least "Satisfactory" conduct grade cherry picking? Let me mention also that younger borthers and sisters were also accepted regardless of the conduct grade.

Many of thse kids were not brilliant but they certainly shined when they graduated.

Reply to
Leon

So what was he doing to remedy the situation?

Reply to
Leon

Having lost sight of our objectives, we redoubled our efforts (funding).

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Also trucking (same same).

Definitely not as cold.

Reply to
krw

The true failure are the parents who do not support the teacher.

When there is no value placed on education at home, there will be no learning at school.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Why would you want electric water, whether it be hot or cold?

Reply to
krw

It will when you end up paying the true cost of the energy used.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

The equivalent of the Ford Model T in postwar Germany.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

What do you think he _can_ do? It's easy to recognize that the carrier is aground. Getting it off the rocks is a lot harder.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Try volunteering in a school for awhile and you will have your eyes opened.

The problem starts at home.

And the parents are Ground Zero for that problem.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Could they figure it out? If so then she had done her job well. When a student can do something the teacher can't then the teacher has succeeded.

I'm not following you.

I was more intelligent than most of my teachers through high school back in the '60s, or thought I was. I did know more about quite a lot. But they were doing what was required of them.

How do you know they were better teachers? Do you have results of some kind of teaching competition or something?

I'm curious about what those meetings were typically about,.

So we've got one school that cherry-picked the whole system and managed to do well for a handful of kids. So how do you make that work for the rest of the system?

Did they accept every student in the district who had such a grade?

So what percentage of students in the district were these?

Reply to
J. Clarke

And fine the parents for Johnny's poor performance when it occurs.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Yeah, blame everybody but the bureaucrats who keep piling more and more and more crap on the schools.

Reply to
J. Clarke

So your solution to the problem is what, shoot all the parents?

Reply to
J. Clarke

I suspect so. I'm going to have a wee chat with them if the next couple of bills bear me out. Perhaps we can come to a reasonable accomodation. "Reasonable" being I don't tell channel 2.

I'm not sure what this one does or how it does it. Might be good to find out. Be neat to have an easier way to figure out what is going on with usage.

Reply to
LDosser

Try volunteering in a school for awhile and you will have your eyes opened.

The problem starts at home.

Totally agree with that statement. We want to keep up with the Jones' although we don't have the education or aptitude to do that so both of us have to work to keep up, and we still want 3.8 children, but we don't have the time to supervise them. We want the school to do their share in raising our children but don't do any thing to hurt their feelings or discipline them more so than we would.

The ones in charge mostly being elected into the position and those that have the powers to appoint positions really don't care if the education system/factory turns out a smart child or not. They are supervising/baby sitting for the parents, the ones too busy to properly watch over their own children.

The teachers eat poo. They have to deal with the bureaucracy, don't scold Mary, don't make Juan learn or speak English, make sure every one gets a trophy, make sure they are taught the achievement tests, waste time with kids that need a whoopin but their parents will not give them one. And for God's sake don't show any extra attention to those that have true potential.

The good teachers find better jobs with less stress and a job that means something, something they can proud to have been a part of. The good teachers go to private schools where nonsense discipline matters get handled and not shuffled into the next class.

Eventually the good teachers are very few and far in between. Not so many fresh college graduate teachers have the maturity to deal with the politics. The good ones find a better job.

Slowly but surely the school system becomes filled with "not so many" good teachers and yet there are still lots of teacher in the public education system. These teachers unfortunately are also a casualty of the system. Fewer and fewer qualified teachers are attracted to the public school system and finally the system takes what it can get.

What the system gets becomes another aspect of the problem and the cancer spreads.

And the parents are Ground Zero for that problem.

Greed!

TMT

Reply to
Leon

I didn't realize that you were a liberal.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I certainly don't think he can solve the problem.

Reply to
Leon

Whacko leftist nut-job, in fact.

Reply to