Rethinking "Made in China"

Page 8 of 16

and AP biology as well as chemistry and physics. She entered the teaching profession about 6 years ago after having worked 17 years in private industry.
She is unique in the local school system, in that she is the only person employed by the local school board that has ever been a success outside of education. Most teachers and administrators have no clue how the real world works and wait for the next crumb of "enlightenment" to drop from the ivory towers of the universties and state administrators.
When school is in session, SWMBO will average working 15 hours a day with 5 of that spent on non teaching related task.
Effective discipline is nonexistant, most parent are unreachable and could care less what happens at school.
No one is allowed to fail.
The system is broken beyond repair.
In contrast she sometimes teaches partime at a private military school, the kids are respectful and do their work. I have sit in on several of these classes and always leave feeling good about life in general, just knowing that there are pockets of humanity where good behavior, manners and and hard work are still practiced in school. Zero discipline issues in these classes, if any one ever raises their voice or causes a disruption they are removed from the room by upperclassmen, and according to her, when they return there is no more problems with that student "ever".
basilisk
Do the presently employed teachers do a good job teaching the liberal agenda? Be dumb. Be compliant. Fear global warming. And, lets teach everyone how to have "safe" sex by rolling a condom on a cucumber before going to town.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I should think it would be better to simply explain that if they washed the cucumber properly first, there would be no need to slip a condom on it for safe sex...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

It might be simpler, but it would be incorrect. Perhaps with fatal results.
Funerals for dead cucumbers. The thought boggles the mind.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Think pesticides.
Think rash.
I knew a somebody who found this out the hard way.
You admit to associating with people who have sex with cucumbers?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

And fine the parents for Johnny's poor performance when it occurs.
TMT
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I didn't realize that you were a liberal.
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 21:38:23 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Whacko leftist nut-job, in fact.

It may differ with location but for the most part the teachers you are describing are what we had 20 years ago, but not in Houston today. Today they are asking "how to do" from the kids. I know it is not their fault, the teachers, for the most part the good ones are long since gone. And they are gone because they no longer want to be baby sitters instead of maintaining discipline and actually teaching. Teaching should also be considered a part of how a child is taught to act and to respect others. That does not happen any more. While I agree the restrictions/cigarettes was the root of the problem. That problem has decayed enough that we now can only get baby sitters/the cancer, to hold positions for any length of time. Any decent new teacher typically becomes a bad one or leaves the system. The problem is through out the whole education system now.
The HS my son went to was an exception to the norm, that school had "good" teachers and there was not a discipline problem. That public HS was by invitation only. The only requirement to be invited to attend that school was that you needed to have a "Satisfactory" average, for conduct, that's it. If a student became a discipline problem they were warned once and the second time transferred to one of the other HS's in the district.
When my son began at that HS the school had grades 9-12. In all four grade levels there were only 650 students. I would estimate that in the other 3 HS's that there were in excess of 10K and that is a very conservative estimate. Out of all of those students approximately 150 were invited each year to attend Kerr HS.
Kerr HS taught the kids how to prepare for college every day. There was no week off to study for the TAAS test, which is a Texas thing to judge how the students are coming along for their grade level. His middle school took a week every year to review for that test. IIRC the year my son graduated 95% of the students had been accepted to a college. IIRC 87% of those students had been awarded scholarships of $15K or more.
I'm certain that the education that my son received at Kerr HS played a very major roll in him transitioning so smoothly into college. I recall the 10th graders mentoring the incoming 9th graders and most of them were high achievers. Life transitioning into Kerr HS was a bigger challenge for my son than going from that HS into college. I am also certain that Kerr HS played a major part in my son getting into the Honors College his first year at the university and graduating with a 4 year average GPA of 3.87.
Leon wrote:

"Summa Cum Laude" at that! Right?
Don't forget to add "parenting" into the equation.
Like Doug Miller's young Eagle Scout, few young folks achieve what both your boys have achieved without the parents being a BIG part of the success story.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Yeah but Bryan was not around to help me spell it. My computer surely would have turned it into Lookey Chop Suey.

I guess, it seemed prett easy to me.

Absolutely.
Leon wrote:

Shhhhh! Don't let the current administration or its minions know about that school, they'll claim it's not fair and find some way to destroy it. Good going for your son and the parents who raised such a fine young man, I know you're proud. I wish more school systems would separate the wheat from the chaff. The chaff doesn't necessarily have to be thrown away, perhaps a boot camp or two could turn it into something useful.
TDD
Leon wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "asking how to do", however in some districts teachers are forbidden to actually teach subject matter--they are constrained when a kid asks a question to "facilitate" the kid looking it up for himself and disciplinary action will be taken against them if they actually get caught answering the question.

I don't understand what you think cigarettes have to do with anything. As for restrictions, it's not just "restrictions", its a whole mass of bureaucrat-mandated bullshit.

However the teachers are not the cause. They don't make the decisions. They don't make the policies.
You could staff the schools with a who's who of American leadership and they wouldn't be any better than they are now because they'd be operating under the same rules.
When there's something wrong with a huge organization, it's not the peons at the bottom who are causing it.

And this is symptomatic of the problem. Every parent knows that the schools are broken, but the one that their little darling went to was an exception.

So the teachers at that school weren't any better than the ones in the other schools, they just made the problem kids somebody else's problem. So do you think that those same teachers would have done nearly as well at one of the other schools?

And from that you conclude that the _teachers_ at those other schools are the problem?

And this is because the teachers were so brilliant you think.

And all of this you attribute to the excellence of the teachers and not to the district policies that allowed the school to cherry-pick students?

My son's calculus teacher asked the students , how to do, a problem, she could not figure it out.

I was making a compairison, cigaretts/cancer, It started with restrictions, then came the bureaucrat crap and eventually the cancer spread to the teachers.

Don't recall saying the teachers were the cause but they have been sucked in and have become part of the problem. The kids are more intelligent than most of the teachers these days in the HISD.

That is right and the good ones eventually leave. Those that can't do anything else or are in it for the benefits remain.

Correct, not the cause but do become part of the problem.

The only decent ones my son went to was the private school K-2 and the HS 9-12, the other 3 sucked.

Yeah they were better teachers. There was a waiting list for them to get into the school. Problem kids were few and very far in between. My son knew of "1" in the school, a frined of his, and he tas transferred out.

"Part" of the problem and the ones we delt with, 3-8 grades seem comfortable with that. They did not care for 3 way meetings with the principal however.

And this is because the teachers were so brilliant you think.
I would not say brillinat so much as above average and the teachers had nothing to do with obtaining the scolarships. That was all on the kids to do the leg work. The system was totally different in that school all the way up to the principal. Teachers were allowed to teach and they did teach. And yes most all of the teachers in that school were impressive, even to the kids. Remember, the good teachers were lined up to get into Kerr. They wanted to teach there, that came out at every PTA meeting.
In the other schools the teachers reminded me of typical "government workers", there for the benefits. I know that their attitudes were not all their fault, the system is to blame but many of those teachers were like many of the kids, lost. You know when the system sucks badly enough and you cannot attract good help because of that fact you settle for less than desirable to fill the classrooms. That is what I saw.

Do you call only accepting students with at least "Satisfactory" conduct grade cherry picking? Let me mention also that younger borthers and sisters were also accepted regardless of the conduct grade.
Many of thse kids were not brilliant but they certainly shined when they graduated.
Leon wrote:

Could they figure it out? If so then she had done her job well. When a student can do something the teacher can't then the teacher has succeeded.

I'm not following you.

I was more intelligent than most of my teachers through high school back in the '60s, or thought I was. I did know more about quite a lot. But they were doing what was required of them.

How do you know they were better teachers? Do you have results of some kind of teaching competition or something?

I'm curious about what those meetings were typically about,.

So we've got one school that cherry-picked the whole system and managed to do well for a handful of kids. So how do you make that work for the rest of the system?

Did they accept every student in the district who had such a grade?

So what percentage of students in the district were these?

Try volunteering in a school for awhile and you will have your eyes opened.
The problem starts at home.
And the parents are Ground Zero for that problem.
TMT
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

So your solution to the problem is what, shoot all the parents?

Oh good Lord how can any one take you seriousely?