Rethinking "Made in China"

Page 7 of 16

Leon wrote:

You folks who are going on about "Rabbits" and "Jettas" and suchlike are missing the point.
THE Volkswagen, the Type I, aka the Beetle, aka the Porsche Type 60, was in continuous production for over 60 years with more than 20 million built, both the longest and largest production runs in automotive history.

Uh, you might want to actually get drunk with a few teachers sometime before you blame them. They have to do what they can with what they've got and what they've got these days isn't much (and I'm not talking about the kids, I'm talking about the rules they are required to work under). Wanna fix education, first shoot all the professors of education and all the school boards.

They hadda keep replacing them.
nb
notbob wrote:

Give up, nutbob ... you're in over your head.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Hardly.
There's a very simple reason why experienced folks could repair a VW in just minutes: practice!
nb
notbob wrote:

Yep, with 20 million produced the increased opportunity for "practice" would be logical, eh?
Apparently over your head also ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

....as is the overwhelming contradictory feedback in this thread to your premise that vee-dubs are reliable.
I'll concede that VW has a lot of great things going for it. I'd even consider buying one, again. I'd like to try the later model turbo diesels if diesel fuel in the US would stabalize. But, your zealotry for all things Euro is just plain wrong and does not reflect my real world experiences with all brands, worldwide. VW is no more reliable than MANY other brands I've owned and, in fact, doesn't even rate in the top five.
You can resort to name calling or you can discuss in a rational discourse. The former is grounds for dismissal
nb
notbob wrote:

"....as opposed to baseless dogma spewed by narrow minded twits who refuse to see beyond personal prejudices."
And example of "rational discourse" by you, eh?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

A perfectly example of you inability to mount a viable argument.
Please.... continue to make a fool of yourself.
nb
notbob wrote:

Yeah right ... you're way too easy, dude. It's been fun, but I'm going to make some sawdust now that it's warmed up a bit.
Enjoy continuing to talk into that mirror ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
J. Clarke wrote:

John Silber, former president of Boston College, was asked what one thing could be done to improve the quality of education in America. He answered: "Abolish colleges of education."

Sounds exactly like the typical "former" employee with an ax to grind would say.
I'd say get rid of public education and all the bureaucracy that come with it. Privatize it.

I would agree with you if it was workable but, unfortunately, its not. There would be many people that could not afford it thus not sending their kids to school. This is for k true 12. If college is what you meant, I completely agree with you. Yes, far fewer people would go to college but a college degree would mean something. I attended two colleges. The first one was private. It was quite good. No restrictions from government control, instructors were hired for their knowledge and experience. When hiring, they put no stock whatsoever in a teaching degree. All instructors had experience in the fields that they were teaching,rather than just reading about it. Students were there to learn, not just to spend time. This was maintained by strict policies If you were a troublemaker or in any way interfering with others abilities to get the education they were paying for, you would be expelled, If you could not maintain a reasonable grade average, you would be given the chance to either transfer to something you could handle or you would be asked to leave. They would not tolerate an underachiever dragging the rest of the students down. You were given every opportunity to excel. A fair amount of their funding was in the form of donations from local business that saw it as an investment in future employees. No donations were excepted with conditions attached. Kept everyone honest. The second one was a government funded local college that was considered one of the best in the area. If that was the best, I would hate to see the worst. Very few of the instructors were top rate. In one class, people would come to me instead of the instructor as I new more about the subject than he did. Trouble makers were tolerated and failing grades were upgraded to passing to ensure that the student would continue to go there as their government funding was attached to body count rather than academic achievement. There was, of course, students that came from other government programs, such as vocational rehabilitation, that were virtually granted a diploma.
Leon wrote:

Yep. If universal education is felt to be a worthwhile goal, give out vouchers.
Oh, and before you shrug off John Silber as a disgruntled ex-employee, you might check his Wikipedia entry. I just did and I see I made a mistake: He was president of Boston University, not College.
HeyBub wrote:

FWIW, I have a friend who has a PhD in education, and is retired, not fired, so one can't claim that he is "disgruntled", who shares the opinion that the flaws in the system are inherent in the educational philosophy currently being taught in the colleges of education, and in the poltical tendency to require the schools to provide more and more social functions that are not rightly part of education.

So what was he doing to remedy the situation?
Leon wrote:

What do you think he _can_ do? It's easy to recognize that the carrier is aground. Getting it off the rocks is a lot harder.

I certainly don't think he can solve the problem.
Having lost sight of our objectives, we redoubled our efforts (funding).
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
J. Clarke wrote:

It's worse than you think.
In America, we do not have a single living Nobel laureate or Fields medalist, not even the president, who is qualified, by law, to teach in the schools of my state. No winner of the Pulitzer, Booker, Hugo, Edgar, Newberry, Caldecott or other literary prize. Nor can any of the justices of the Supreme Court stand in front of a classroom as a teacher.
In my state, one can be certified to teach mathematics at the high-school level without ever having had a college course in Calculus.
Pitiful really.
Does anyone doubt that a retired Civil Engineer could teach geometry off the top of his head? Would you expect a retired nurse to be able to instruct in high school biology? And so on. Well, they can't.
Makes one want to weep.
HeyBub wrote:

There is a notion popular in the colleges of education that the teacher's skill is teaching and that the teacher doesn't actually have to know anything about the subject matter, and that expertise in a subject is actually undesirable.