Rethinking "Made in China"

Page 6 of 16

ShopVac

Did Saab really fall THAT FAR!?
My parents owned (later passed dwn to me) a '68 Saab Monte Carlo w/ the Ford designed V-4 engine. I've owned and driven a lot of GM iron and have never seen anything even in the same parallel universe as good as that old Saab. A brilliant car.
nb

I have played. wrenched, hated and enjoyed a whole myriad of european cars. When I lived in Toronto, I had a garage with a full-size pit. (The next owner had to have it filled, residential bylaws and all that shit) A lot of co-workers and friends used it to change their oil and worked on brakes, mufflers etc. One such co-worker had a love affair with Saab. He had restored a two-stroke, that thing was a riot. It went like stink (I think that's where the phrase originated as it smelled quite bit with castrol racing oil in the gas) He and his wife drove new Saabs and I had the pleasure to drive those magnificent cars on more than one occasion. For the longest time, Saabs would give Audis, MiniCoopers and Volvo a pretty good run on the Rallye circuit. Great cars and a crying shame to see them go. A shame to see Saturn get reduced to Opels and then dropped altogether. A shame to see Pontiac get dropped as well...although not so much. I have, for sale, a 1996 Saturn SC1 with 270,000 KM on it... all it ever needed was 2 sets of tires and a brake job. Always starts, A/C always cold, never a problem. Never. The interior.. well it is kinda falling apart, seats are shot etc.
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 09:38:46 -0800, Robatoy wrote:

Yeah, I can believe that. I've know quite a few folk with old Saabs, and they were pretty reasonble cars.

Is there a direct comparison with models from the two? My father over in England has a Vauxhall (essentially an Opel) Astra with a 6-speed manual 'box and whatever the largest engine is that they offer (I'd have to ask him).
I borrowed and drove it as my daily driver for a few months before I moved to the US (I'd sold my own cars) and it handled itself pretty well on twisty roads, the 6-speed was pretty smooth, and the turbo on it was surprisingly good (I'd always been wary about vehicles with turbos, but I guess they've got better over the years).
I know Saturn offered a model with exactly the same body style (although I couldn't care less about that - I generally dislike modern car styling) - but I've no idea if they offered the same drivetrain.
cheers
Jules
Jules wrote:

of sh*t, IMHO. I don't expect to have it for long.
On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 10:54:23 -0600, cjt wrote:

:-) I really did like the drivetrain and handling on my father's one - but the styling (both exterior and interior) I could certainly live without, and the inside had a horrible "cheapest possible" feel about it; I suspect it won't age well at all.
I'm not sure where they got the 6-speed from, whether it was developed in-house or bought in from somewhere else. It did good on mileage; my work was about 50 miles away and a mixture of small twisty lanes (i.e. lots of braking and acceleration) and then fast roads (used to keep it on 90-100) and I could still average 40mpg out of it.
I think that's perhaps the one thing I do like about modern vehicles; they do generally fare better in terms of fuel use...
cheers
Jules

Despite being in a couple sports car clubs, some as early as '58 (my parents), I've never driven or seen a Saab 2-stroke up close (3 cyl, no less!). The only time was in USAF boot camp in TX when we were taking a 5 min ciggy break on the drill field. Slowly, in the distance, we heard a gawdawful din slowly approaching. As it came closer, still unseen, the volume and horrific noise steadily increased. It sounded like a ...what? Army tank? Old diesel semi hauling slop from the chow hall? Old Johnny Popper with bad cylinder. Finally, the cacophony was so overwhelming, whole marching squads came to a halt and every one of hundreds of heads and ears were turned in the direction of the battlefield of thundering pops and bangs. Slowly, an old rat Saab lumbered into view, about a hundred yards away. Couldn't have been moving at more than 10 mph, but sounded like an artillery barrage at its height. I think, for a second, I was the only one who realized it was that 2 cycle Saab with no muffler whatsoever. Hilarious.
nb

They are out of business. That's about as far as they can fall, I guess.

DOH!
I should have caught that, having once owned a Chrysler 5th Ave (for as it took me to sell it!). ;)
nb

The only 5th Avenue worth buying is the candy bar, IMO.

LOL! ....agreed.
I got it free and sold it as soon as I got it running. I wasn't into tuna-boats yet (which came later, with age), being a young turk and sports car and motorcycle aficionado, then.
nb
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:10:14 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Question: did they ever sell the truck version in the US? (think bus but with most of the roof chopped off and a load bed in the back).
Couple of my uncles had those as farm trucks in the early 70s (because they were cheap, easy to fix and they never needed them to be fast or go long distances, I suppose). There can't have been many manufacturers offering rear-engined pickups. Not seen one on the road for years, though.
cheers
Jules
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 08:41:21 -0600, Jules

Yes, they were sold in the US. Chevy had a corvair pickup with a rear engine.
Jeep made a cab-over pickup, which was pretty interesting.

Yes! In fact, there's one for sale jes a few blocks from that VW bus/pickup I mentioned. The guy has had it up for sale since I moved here 2 yrs ago. I'm becoming more and more curious as to why it has never sold, this being major jeep country (CO Rockies @ 8K ft!). Price too high? Mech problems? I'd even consider buying it, it being so downright funky and rare. I should call him one of these days. ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Forward_Control
nb

They weren't such great vehicles. I am not sure they had 4wd, either. Basically a CJ with a lot of extra weight on it.
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 13:15:21 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

plow snow with one. 6 foot blade, and still not enough power. Lots of traction though- - - .

gutless little Typhoon F-Head 4 cyl in them.

I suspected road speed might have been another factor in its not selling. Kinda like the very nice '52 Chevy p/u I owned and finally sold due to it's 5.16:1 rear end that made 55mph a stretch. The F-head (Hurricane) no doubt makes it even more rare, the only time I've even seen one of these bizarre hermaphrodite engines being in our HS auto shop, back when I didn't know a valve stem from a king pin.
nb

Definitely. Very popular in CA.

I've seen one, recently, in a Euro repair garage parking lot. I don't know if it runs or is jes fer show, as it's eternally in the same spot.
nb
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 08:41:21 -0600, Jules

Yup - Transporter.