Rethinking "Made in China"

Page 5 of 16

Leon wrote:

With regard to the "price point engineered models", those were not any cheaper to produce than the original Beetle--the reason they exist is that it was impossible to make the Beetle meet US emission and safety regulations without a major redesign (it was designed in 1936, remember--by the '60s it had already had a really good run). And the Beetle itself had been "price point engineered" from the outset.
J. Clarke wrote:

Agreed on all counts ... but what superior "price point" engineering! :)
There was something intrinsically "elegant" about the engineering on the original Porsche designed VW ... akin to a three line algorithm taking the place of a thousand lines of code, if you know what I mean.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

The equivalent of the Ford Model T in postwar Germany.
TMT

Never had any trouble but, fact was that any long distance we traveled was in convoy. Armed guards in front and recker in back. No one was left behind.
In article <9280e86d-295a-4c0c-918f-
says...

That's funny. My first diesel VW Golf (the German version of the 'rabbit') didn't make it to the end of its lifespan since my first wife totalled it in a head-on. Only thing that ever failed was the electric diesel line shutoff relay. The second never had any mechanical problems outside a CV boot or two, new brakeshoes and once, a slipped cambelt until it popped an engine seal at around 230,000 km and suddenly had oil in the water ... I decided to sell it for scrap at that point. My father still drives his, about 21 years old now, never had a breakdown yet ...
Incidentally, the Jetta and some of the Passat models had very bad reps in Germany also 30 years ago. Although the vanilla Passat SW was the travelling salesman's economy vehicle of choice. I haven't looked at them since, due to emigrating half way round the globe.
And, talking of reliable European cars, I've known quite a few series 2 Volvos that cracked half a million kilometres ... Now that Ford are messing with the Volvo design I think that will not be the case any more, I won't buy another Volvo designed & built since 2006. Currently driving an 850 wagon and an XC70. Wonderful cars to drive, but lots of little things go wrong all of the time :-(
-P.

I quite like the C30 Volvo. Ford's hands in things don't always turn out bad. The fact that a C30 fetches as much money as it does is a bit of a pisser considering that what it really *is*...is a Mazda 3. I have owned Volvos in the past without any drama.

I quite like the C30 Volvo. Ford's hands in things don't always turn out bad. The fact that a C30 fetches as much money as it does is a bit of a pisser considering that what it really *is*...is a Mazda 3. I have owned Volvos in the past without any drama.
One of the worst lemons I ever had was an early-model Volvo P-1800. I made a sharp u-turn one day and the wire from the distributor wrapped around the steering and broke. The hose from the fuel filter leaked and the car caught fire one day in a gas station. The Pirelli radial tires made the car waggle like a duck at low speeds as the side walls flexed back and forth. A c-clip in the window mechanism kept coming off and I became good at removing the trim and replacing the clip.
Maybe the fact that the car was made in Scotland was a factor.
My next Volvo was a model 142, made (assembled, actually) in Halifax, Nova Scotia -- I bought it duty free, with no accessories - not even a radio -- for $2000 brand new. It was more reliable but I finally sold it in Dayton, OH when there was no Volvo dealership and no reliable repair shops that I could find and the disk brakes started to seize up randomly.

Even the supposedly best of them ...Mercedes and BMW.... are not without flaws. My buddies SL head gasket leaks oil like the Exxon Vadez and its paint went just as quickly as my same year Civic in the scorching CA sun. Another friend's BMW dash upholstery split open like ripe puffball, and it only 8 yrs old. I've seen brand new Mercedes with orange peel paint to rival the worst from detroit. Having recently moved here to CO, I'm stunned to find how popular Buicks are. Talked to a Fifth Ave owner who had 350K miles without a hiccup. Quality is where you find it and not necessarily from where you expect it.
nb
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 17:45:33 +0000, notbob wrote:

I think the important part is in distinguishing between design issues and manufacturing ones - i.e. whether there's something fundamentally bad about the design, or if the fault lies with the way they're put together. I'm not sure if you can say that a "European car" is bad if the faults are all on the assembly side, and that assembly is done locally to the country where the car is sold.

Wonder what the record currently is and who holds it? Back in the '80s I think Mercedes had it for one of their diesels, but that was a loooong time ago now.
cheers
Jules

Friend of mine had a 750IL (yeah, the james bond one). The interior pretty much disintegrated; many of the leds on the dash died, to the point where you could no longer read the odometer. The passenger side front door window broke every time the door was closed hard. He went through at least three radios. 12 cylinders to service. Never again, he said.
scott
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 11:57:13 -0600, Jules

The record for Tacicab service was a 1963 Plymouth.Fury owned and driven by Joseph Vaillancourt of Montreal Canada with 1,621,591 miles on the clock when Joe and the cab retired a couple years ago.. I believe that is a record for the highest number of miles on a car in North America.

The "Fifth Avenue" was a Chrysler. Buick's was the "Park Avenue"

Somebody wrote:

FoMoCo wasn't too shabby in the way they cleaned up Jaguar.
Lew
@verizon.net says...

Yes, I understand things at BMC went pretty shitty for a long time.
But: To give you an example: the straight5 Volvo engines at 2 or 2.4 litres with a turbo are great. Quite economical, and capable to turning a 2t brick shithouse of a car into a 'pocket rocket'. I start overtaking some slow-poke at 50mph, by the time I pass his bonnet I'm doing 75mph and that's without taking a run-up or anything.
Now Ford/Volvo has seen fit as of 2007 to put a petrol guzzling 3.2 litre engine into the new XC70ies. It doesn't fscking NEED that, it'll just be a drain on the wallet ... and quite possibly not as good a motor.
I don't like Ford any more. They sold me what turned out to be a Ford- rebadged Shibaura tractor, made from crap steel that rotted like nobody's business within a few years. Some friends drove a Ford-rebadged Mazda that spent more time in the shop than on the road ... nah. My local mechanic says the more recent Ford engines are crap in his opinion, and I won't argue.
f.w.i.w.
If they're going to start reselling Mazdas rebadged as Volvos, then I might as well go and buy Japanese at half the price in the first place; hell, I can buy 3 Korean 'luxury vehicles' for the price of one Volvo for that matter, plus, I'd go Toyota over Mazda any old day of the week.
Anyhow, getting way off topic here now ;-)
-P.
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 17:42:58 +1300, Peter Huebner

Toyota and Honda are about tie at the top of the Japanese list, with Mazda a distant but rizing third - Subaru holding onto 4th and Nissan a more distant 5th, and Mitsushitty digging themselves out of last place. Somewhere down close to the bottom you have Suzuki bouncing around too.
On the world market Daihatsu holds a pretty good position too.
Then there's the Koreans - Definitely coming up fast after Toyota and Honda's lunch!!!!!

And GM is cleaning up Saab ...

With a broom and a dustpan???
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 09:18:54 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

GM has announced the demise of Saab. The last possible deal to save it failed. Saab long enjoyed a hardcore following of fanatics. They took a seriously wrong turn and lost them all. The car lost it's cachet.

Exactly. Just another car. Used to be, you could differentiate car brands from 5 miles by seeing a tiny speck of the body outline. Or a glimpse of a taillight. Today, you have to walk up to them and read the nameplate to tell a Camry from a Caterra. Saab stood out. No longer though. It would take quite an investment and major style change to bring back a low volume brand.
Maybe they could bring back the 3 cylinder 2 cycle engine though.
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 09:18:54 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Tidy Bowl.