Rethinking "Made in China"

Yes, the success of the American space program was due to imports. They imported Germany's best scientists.

Reply to
CW

Well said ...

Only poor craftsman blames

Cool ... my main axe is a '61 Fender Jazz.

Just for grins, some "American engineering" ... :)

...and it sounds like this:

Me Go Home Whiskey.wma

Reply to
Swingman

A more apt analogy for China is our national cocaine dealer.

Reply to
LDosser

Or an MG ...

Reply to
LDosser

So what percentage of the engineers working on Apollo were German?

Hint--go to Youtube and search on "Disney Moon" and you'll find that the concept that Von Braun was pushing pre-Apollo was considerably different from what actually flew (and before you make some ignorant sneering remark about Disney, do the search and watch the episode).

Reply to
J. Clarke

Poisoning our pets and kids with their intentional addition of melamine to baby formula, dog food, cereal and milk.

STILL putting dangerous levels (as if there is a "safe" level) of lead paint on most of the toys they export.

Chinese drywall was fun too. Everything from electrical appliances to baby furniture, blankets clothing and teething rings are constantly being recalled, but I guess you're right. They unfairly get a bad reputation. We should just man up and buy their dangerous goods. What the hell, we all gotta die from something right?

And lets not forget that we lost 2 million jobs to China during the Bush years.

Reply to
BRUCE

And Canada's. All the brains behind the Avro Arrow put the Yanks into space and onto the moon. Strategic move on the part of the Americans to pressure Dief into canning the Arrow.

Reply to
clare

Apparently some folks are having trouble with the concept of the current global economy; and the history of our own manufacturing problems.

Today, there are relatively few items truly manufactured in USA, China, Japan, Mexico or anywhere. To slam a product just because it is made in Taiwan or China doesn't make sense anymore especially when you look at metal and woodworking tools sold by companies like Grizzly. Many of the parts and castings in "old American" products like Powermatic now come from the east. Much of the airframe and wiring in venerable aircraft like the Beech Bonanza and King Air are manufactured in Mexico and assembled in Kansas; avionics guts come from the east. Most electronic components used in fine old American TVs and audio components come from China, Japan or Korea.

On the other side, a complete lapse in U.S. quality control, during the 1970's, allowed the Japanese to to run completely over the US auto industry. But now look at Toyota. They are building cars, to high standards, at several U.S. facilities. This is probably good because the high cost of maintaining union demands has all but shut down Detroit and other auto manufacturing centers. This is doubly tragic because Detroit was finally starting to build some quality cars again.

The world is changing and made in ("anywhere") is a thing of the past. We have seen a strong trend toward survival of the fittest during the past year and those who can produce quality at a reasonable cost will probably win (or be taken over by government).

My job is to take care of my business by buying the best I can with what I have. If I can buy the same quality and function for 20-40% less the decision is easy.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

A surprising number of the best NASA scientists and engineers came from Canada after the Avro Arrow project was canceled by the Diefenbaker Conservative government.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

The same is true of digital photography and fiber optics.

Both developed in the US by non US citizens.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Snip

Only poor craftsman blames the tool.

Oh crap! I have heard the me too expression way too many times now.

Really and truly a poor craftsman "does not recognize" that he is not working with quality tools. A fine craftsman will remedy that situation with quality work through quality tools.

Reply to
Leon

I agree that the blame is being placed in the wrong place. However, you and I don't agree on where it should be placed.

Too many consumers buy on price alone. Quality is only a concern when the item fails. Often the replacement item is bought with the same emphasis on price.

Until a higher percentage of consumers are willing to pay more for quality we won't be able to find a better product at a consumer outlet.

That is why places like Wal-Mart, K-mart, Home Depot, Menards and others like them are able to thrive.

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Much of the airframe and wiring in venerable aircraft like the Beech Bonanza and King Air are manufactured in Mexico and assembled in Kansas; avionics guts come from the east.

------------------------------------------ "Beech Bonanza", or as described to me by a pilot in Tulsa, "Split tailed doctor killer".

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

---------------------------------- It may still be operating, but at what efficiency?

There were some 1,000 watt mercury lamps on life test.

The rated life of the lamp was 20,000 hours.

Lamp was still operating after 20+ years of 24/7 service; however, the light output was less than 5% of initial output.

Your reefer may be in the same mode.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Not quite... The CCD was developed by Boyle, one of us (Canuck) and Smith, one of you (Murrican). The Nobel went to both.

Ref:

Careful, Lew. You're moving into our Canadian self-deprecation territory and you do NOT want to infringe on that. We can be SERIOUS about that.

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Most any fool knows there are exceptions to everything ... it is the thickheaded cavilers who continue to harp on the exceptions to show their asses and ignorance.

Arguably, we were standing on the shoulders of giants when it came to innovative engineering and quality, for much, if not most of "New World" engineering impetus which resulted in the much vaunted "Made in USA" label of the 20th century, was due to European immigration to the America's, bringing their traditions going back to craftsman's guilds and their pioneering of early engineering principles in Europe since Roman times.

AAMOF, Canada, almost alone in the America's today with products like Veritas, seems to still exhibit manifestations of these traditions; instead of the price point engineered, MBA driven POS being produced by Chinese proxy for the United Corporations of America.

As far as many woodworking tools today, it is a FACT that if you really want quality, innovation, and excellence in engineering, you look first to European manufacturers like Festool, a shining example of innovation and quality through engineering which you will find no place else on earth in this, the first decade of the 21st century.

It's sad, but a fact ...

Reply to
Swingman

Not to discount the contribution of these aforementioned Canadian engineers but realistically how many were enticed to come to the US AND how many US scientists and engineers were working at NASA at the time? (also consider the number of S & E's working for contractors as well)

Did these Canadian engineers represent 1%? 5% 10% 25% ?

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

I thought you were a Canuck, eh?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Didn't they all come here to Alabamastan to work on them dang rockets?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

When a country taxes and regulates business to death, what happens? When labor unions become too big for their britches and so corrupt that their behavior holds businesses hostage to their demands, the business owners vote with their feet and go someplace else.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas