Rethinking "Made in China"

Page 16 of 16

On 12/18/2009 3:23 AM snipped-for-privacy@dog.com spake thus:

Well, all I can say is "you suck". Here we were, having a nice discussion about *affordable* (now) LF cameras, and you have to start talking about your Mercedes ...
--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

I inherited it!
To be honest, I'd rather have my father back.

I have made this point on this newsgroup and elsewhere. At the time "made in Japan" meant junk, I lived in Japan. You could buy anything you could ever want. The quality ranged from junk to the finest quality you'd find anywhere. Lots of the technology in common use there had not even been seen in the US (at least not by Joe Average).What perpetuated the "Japanese junk" idea was the American importers. Junk was extremely cheap, so much so that, even with a substantial markup, they could still sell it cheap enough here that people would buy it. They (the importers) new that high quality was available but there was no moony in it. The Chinese are in the same position now. High quality is available in China but no one is bringing it into the US. There is no money in it.