Rethinking "Made in China"

Interesting discussion.
I think also much of the "blame" is upon the buyer.....how much will each of us pay for more quality?
We get what we pay for...if you want better, then vote with your dollars and companies will hear you.
TMT
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 15:58:17 -0800, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Yes, but my point is that there are times you *can't* pay for quality. My fridge/freezer is over 30 years old and still going - but I don't think I could walk into any modern appliance store and say "sell me a fridge that'll still be going in 2039".
cheers
Jules
"Jules" wrote:

---------------------------------- It may still be operating, but at what efficiency?
There were some 1,000 watt mercury lamps on life test.
The rated life of the lamp was 20,000 hours.
Lamp was still operating after 20+ years of 24/7 service; however, the light output was less than 5% of initial output.
Your reefer may be in the same mode.
Lew

Reefer? ;~)
Leon wrote:

Navy talk for "refrigerator".
On 12/17/2009 6:42 AM J. Clarke spake thus:

Also a railroading term.
--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

Also a Dope term.....

Also trucking (same same).

Definitely not as cold.
"Leon" wrote:

A place to keep cold stuff like beer.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Tell that to Cheech and Chong! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 19:44:15 -0800, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Yes, I'm sure it's not good... but then for 7 months of the year up here whatever losses it has are still going into the house as useful heat anyway (and I don't run aircon in summer, so it's not like I'm using more power to combat the inefficiency then either).
I did try estimating how much power it was using once (based on monthly bills and the other stuff that we have running), and it wasn't that bad at all; in terms of the difference in running costs between it and a new fridge, I figured that a new replacement would have to run for at least ten years before it paid for itself. Having seen the way most things are engineered to a price these days, a decade might be asking a little much :(
cheers
Jules

Consider this, and my comparison is not an even one but you may want to look at other appliances also.
I have been keeping records on a spread sheet of my electricity usage and cost in the same house for the last 21 years. I replaced the original central AC & heating in 1995, it was 14 years old. I am still using that replacement central AC & heating system 15 years later. From 1988 till 2003 my average monthly usage has been from 1214 Kwh to 1456 Kwh. The graph goes up and down, up and down.
Beginning in 2004 my average usage has almost gone flat. 1347 in 2004, 1348 in 2005, 1335 in 2006, 1334 in 2007, 1184 in 2008. and so far in 2009 with one month to go 1297. The big drop in 2008 was because we lost electricity for 11 days because of Hurricane Ike.
I replaced my electric water heater early in 2004. Looking at the efficiency label on the old water heater and comparing to the new $300 water heater installed by me, I determined that it would pay for itself in less than 2 years. I have saved about 1300 Kwh per year since. Electricity has cost me approximately 13 cents per Kwh on average. I have been saving about $169 per year since 2003 after replacing the water heater. Including the cost of the new water heater I have saved $700 in electricity over the last 6 years.
"Leon" wrote:

Does your utility offer discount rates for an electric hot water heater that operates only during off peak hours?
When my dad built our house in 1947, he installed a 100 gallon tank for 3 people that only operated at night.
We always had hot water heated by low cost electricity.
Lew .
Lew
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 08:28:12 -0800, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Yes, that's how ours is... water heater, clothes dryer and baseboard heat all load-controlled on off-peak. The 30yr old fridge is probably responsible for a good proportion of our monthly "non off-peak" bill (along with the TV and the electric stove).
Our water heater's got one of those stickers on it which claims it's quite high in terms of efficiency - but it's also quite old (albeit descaled earlier this year) so newer ones probably do better. I thought about insulating it more, but the outside surface gets barely warm anyway - plus like with the fridge anything it loses as heat is doing useful work for more than half the year. Maybe there is a case for putting it on a timer just during the summer months; we usually end up using all the hot in an evening, and there's probably no point having it maintaining water heat all night long...
cheers
Jules

Not yet! Before deregulation in TX I participated in a pilot program with our only source for electricity. In 1995 they installed the fancy programmable/hooked up to a modem central air thermostat. They also installed a switch on the WH that was controlled by the central air thermostat. During the Summer months I paid as little as 2.4 cents at night, 3.4 cents in the late mornings, 12 cents in the afternoon and 6.5 cents early evening. Summer weekends an all Winter long never over 6.5 cents. The thermostac would control "what worked when" and inside temperatures according to pricing tiers during the day and to what I decided should be done at those points. Daily the thermostat would read the digital electric meter and "phone home" the information concerning my usage. At any time I could see how many KWh I had used for the day, week, and month. I cold also see what the electricity had cost me for those time periods and a projected estimated bill for the month. I LOVED IT!
I have not seen any thing like it since. However over the next 10 years the Utility company is going to replace all the electric meters with digital ones, like I had 15 years ago. Perhaps then I can get back on a plan.

I basically had the same set up except I told the WH to come on at 8:pm and run for 3 hours and again at 5:00 am and run for 1 hour. That worked out fine also.

PGE recently replaced our analog meter with a digital one. So far it does not 'phone home' to me and I only look at it when taking out the trash, but the odd thing is my usage dropped by about ten percent since they put it in. No changes at all in appliances or usage. I'm becoming very suspicious that a faulty analog meter or reader's eyeballs have been charging me an extra ten percent for years.

I'd suspect a faulty meter over being misread. While a meter is easily misread it is usually corrected on the following read. If you are seeing longer term less usage it sounds like the old meter was not being nice to you.
My meter comunicated with the thermostat and then through the modem to give the power company the information. The meter readers would give that meter the strangest looks as it was not readabel IIRC, the modem was the link to my billing.

I suspect so. I'm going to have a wee chat with them if the next couple of bills bear me out. Perhaps we can come to a reasonable accomodation. "Reasonable" being I don't tell channel 2.

I'm not sure what this one does or how it does it. Might be good to find out. Be neat to have an easier way to figure out what is going on with usage.

I doubt that reading high would last for ten years. Eventually, some meter reader would perform actual reading, and that would be the end of the schtick.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Crap Lew, I am bored so I am going to come back with an answer that you are going to "owe me one" for. I'll be prepairing to duck.
Why would I need an electric hot water heater? ;~)
Thank you George Carlin.