Retaining wall - Being built correctly?

I have fence company installing a retaining wall 2' tall and a fence. They have done retaining walls before and seem to know what they are doing, but they are setting the prefab stones at ground level (they flattened and leveled even with sidewalk) with crushed rock on top rather than dig down 3" + gravel as per the instructions of mutualmaterial.com states for manorstones. When questioned, owner said they will put dirt in front (wall inset from sidewalk a foot).
They just finished first day and got ground level and just started putting blocks in. Quick recommendation/help appreciated.
Thanks, Clayton
The question is what are you retaining a 100ft of unstable slide prone dirt or stable sloping solid hardpack clay. Photos
Hardpacked clay.

Does the prefab stone have a brand name? Check the web site. Walls I've seen start underground and have fabric between courses which stick out perpendicular to the wall and are covered with dirt to act like anchors. Also the wall should be backed up with facbric so dirt and gravel doesn't come thru. Also need s a drainage system behind it. On the other hand this is a 2 foot wall and may not need much anchoring depending on the interlocking method.

If you expect to have the ground freeze this winter make sure your guarantee extends that far. Although I'm not convinced that guarantees are worth a lot.
RB