Resurfacing Flat Roof W/Aluminum Tar Coating

Hi, I contracted w/ a local reputABle roofing company to resurface my flat roof (appx 16' x 34') with tar coating w/ reflective surface. Afte the job was done ($450.00) I learned they coated the roof w/ Henry Aluminim Emulsion. They had to come back because the check wasn't made out the way they wanted. I asked them why they only used the aluminum emulsion and not tar w/ aluminum they told me the only time tar is used to resurface is when new paper is put down. Why do I feel klike I got burned $450.00 for 90 minutes work including repair and coating seems like a lot of money. What is the preferred method to recoat a flat roof in the mid atlantic region?
Mike '
Henry's aluminum is a tar based product. The Aluminum floats to the top.
cm