Restoring Honeycomb tile/marble floors - Possible?

We have an old house (~65 years). In the process of tearing up the (pink, wtf) ceramic tiles of the floor, we discovered they were tiled directly over the original "honeycomb" tiles. (My wife thinks they may even be marble). She loves this floor original floor and wants to keep it. I don't really care, its a floor.

However:

- There are a 2 small cracks (7 inches long, probably thickness of a business card - perhaps id refer to them as hairline cracks).

- In one location the tile is completely broke - maybe 3 tiles.

- We should be able to "salvage' some of the tiles from where the new bathtub is going in, as its larger.

- My wife says the tiles are "very thin". I didnt get down on my hands and knees to look, but she knows how think they are now.

- It looks old. It dosent look bad. But you wouldn't mistake this for new tiles (as expected).

- Our contractor said the tile was probably laid on a conrete like pad, which has cracked and cracked the tile along with it. This makes sense.

- The floor is by no means even/level. I can detect indentations visually and by feel. (but not that bad, about what youd expect in a

65 yr old house)

The question, though, is if its possible to "restore" this floor. That is have someone come in and fill the cracks, try to replace the tiles, make it look better.

This is a shot in the dark, I have no idea if this is feasbile or not. Basically Im asking if the equivilent of a hardwood flooring restorer exists but for tile :)

Much thanks for any help you can give!

Reply to
barnesrich

That would be up to you. If your wife truly loves that old floor, then it is probably worth the effort.

However, you might want to take her to the flooring stores. There are some lovely materials currently available and they might properly install on top of the old honeycomb tiles.

We just completed a tile-on-tile installation in 4 rooms and it is beautiful. The thin-set adhesives now available are amazing. Two contractors did inspect our existing floor before giving us the go-ahead. The old floor must be stable!

Reply to
Charles Schuler